?? I have no idea where this topic goes??

Status
Not open for further replies.
killians45 said:
your oem is original equipment manufacturer. what happens when you run defrag?
have you done so in safe mode? does it just click and lock up?
I haven't done that in a while, cause when I do, it locks up or something :(

what about indepth scan disk?
Yes, at times, when we have a power outage, scan disk runs, and it seems to be okay, but I'm not familiar with that.
U may want to boot to a boot disk, goto DOS and then run norton disk doctor and check for bad sectors.
Okay, I just bought Norton and have to install it once again, but I don't know what a bad sector is...
Anyhow, what happens exactly when you do any defrag, check disk, clean disk, etc....
I'll get back with you when I do that...btw ~ so sorry for the late reply...I've been working 12 hour days, six days a week, so my apologies ...thanks for your input :)

killians45 said:
oh, almost forgot to say do NOT try and run defrag in Dos with NTFS... just check the disk with norton disk doctor. oh, and also as far as backing some of the programs you downloaded... you may have the same problem again, especially if spyware has attached itself to any downloads you have.
Okay ~ thanks killans45 ~ I truly appreciate your help :)

I know you tried defrag, but try it in safe mode. turn off ANY screen savers, too. doing this in safe mode (F8 on start before the windows splash screen, choose safe mode) sometimes helps because windows is not loading up uneeded crap. think about it like this, if anything is accessing or writing to the HDD during a defrag, then it may need to start over. although measures are SUPPOSED to have been taken to stop this, it doesn't always work. since defrag reorganizes (read and rewrite back to HDD), if something has changed, well it may need to rewrite/read certain sections. so do it in safe mode. you'll know it, because everything will be HUGE. and it'll say your in safe mode, too.

okay! I'll do that now since I can't sleep and I can't believe I'm up at 3:12 am....but then again, we're having a hurricane hit us tonite LOL...*hopes for no work* LOL ~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom