Outline About Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with learning hardware is that all certs require you to know ALL the hardware... even the crap that is completely ancient (ISA slots, anyone?). The newer hardware is no problem, as we deal with it on a constant basis.

Software is not as bad regarding having to mess with really old dstuff, but it is there. Windows ME, 98, 95, and 3.x, as well as the stuff that ran on it. Old software suites that no longer exist. Crap like that.

Your friend would do well to read up on legacy stuff to learn the history, and then get involved here to learn more about the new stuff.

The problem with learning hardware is that all certs require you to know ALL the hardware... even the crap that is completely ancient (ISA slots, anyone?). The newer hardware is no problem, as we deal with it on a constant basis.

Software is not as bad regarding having to mess with really old dstuff, but it is there. Windows ME, 98, 95, and 3.x, as well as the stuff that ran on it. Old software suites that no longer exist. Crap like that.

Your friend would do well to read up on legacy stuff to learn the history, and then get involved here to learn more about the new stuff.

I should have never threw out that old rig i found...it was a custom built asus machine, with isa slots. It worked just fine too...

lol well what interested me when i was a kid was ( still am i guess) the loading progress bars which went from left to right. I get so friggin excited!!:D and it says stuff like unpacking sys~.ini and "loading resourceS" etc etc and i used to get soo worked up and i loved to see it say "loading" for some reason...but anyhow i moved on from unpacking zips, to downloading files, making dozens and dozens of websites on yahoo geocities, to downloading p2p in the kazaa days and then IM's and then games and then....more downloading and then game making (which i failed but i did learn stuff) and video editing and image creation to pixel art- Then to programming..... and im here...still stuck as before but im here...

Anyway i would suggest youre friend to turn a computer on and have fun and see where it takes him

The newer version of the A+ exam's doesn't deal with anything. The A+ books will usualy mention it, but ISA is no longer on the first or any of the second tests, that and it is covering VISTA and XP Pro/2000 Pro more. I think the OLDEST tech that it covers would be SCSI drives, and there's really nothing about those anymore. But, it does talk about the ENTIRE history of processors.

So tell your friend, his best bet would to buy the 2006 Micheal Myers(spelling?) A+ book, very informative, a few diagrams are wrong, but it is a good read and costs around $40 on Amazon.com

Yeah.. there is no guide or outline to learn everything about computers.. sure you can read books and such, but the best way is through experience.

I suggest him to first build his own computer and go from there :)

Even then, "everything" is impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom