Hard Dirve Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekno_ct

Baseband Member
I have a Windows 2000 NT PC with 2 hard drives, 75GB each, partitioned into one 150GB D: Drive. Recently, one of the drives began making noises and ultimately both the drives failed to show up in "My Computer" as D: Drive. The one that made noise was the "Master" drive. I am wondering if there is anyway to recover any data from any of the two drives.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Both the drives go through a PCI card. I did not personally set up that computer.

Pull the drives and slave them to another computer running
XP or 2000.(9x connot see NFTS file system)

Using Windows Explorer pull your files off the hard drives.

On Hard Drive making noise, do this one fast as it is about to fail.

If you have 2 drives physically in your computer but only 1 drive shows up in "My Computer" at the combined capacities of the drives then they are most likely in a RAID configuration.

If one drive has mechanically failed then you will have lost information on both drives (I can explain in more detail if you request). If the information is vital within the drive then I suggest you take it to a professional PC shop (large one preferably) and get the data recovered at a price.

Kangaroo is correct. With the configuration you have, the data will be gone unless you can get the drives back online. This is a fault of raid 0. The best raid is Raid 5 which allows for the failure of a drive and can still run, that is why it is used in servers. Raid 0 is called stripping, where it writes data out over both drives like it is on. If it fails, you only see half of the data making it unreadable. Raid 1 is mirroring which makes an exact copy of the primary drive onto the other drive. There are several other variations of RAID but these are the most common.

Good luck to you.

But don't forget: RAID 5 requires at least 3 harddrives of the same size. If I were you, and price were not an issue, I'd create two harddrives in a mirror for my operating system, and three in a RAID 5 for my important files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom