Where are my resources going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crypty

Baseband Member
I JUST reformatted my old ass compaq. Its 800mhz with 128mb of ram and windows ME(ugh) I cannot get a break from the problems. The reason I had to reformat was viruses that seemingly came out of nowhere. Now, when I start it up, my resources are almost instanly at 4% free and I can only run 2-3 programs before getting not enough memory errors and having to restart. I have never had this problem before and im clueles about what to do. Any ideas?

When you say just formatted, how many days have you been online since the reformat? Also Windows ME ugh is right. You probably use pc 133 or pc100 ram, find out what you use and get another stick.

Also I use a few Operating systems, but when it comes to lowering your process I like Windows 2000 Pro over XP. XP is the easiest and the prettiest in the Windows family though.

How much can you spend on computer improvement?

Sounds quite typical for Windows ME. I don't want to sound like one of those spammers, bit I suggest you either upgrade to XP, or downgrade of 98 SE. Any of those versions would be better than ME. However, if you feel you must use ME, remove some of the programs that you have in startup. Norton AV is a huge resource hog, and if you are using that, i would suggest switching to something different. Do a scan for viruses and adware. A program called Lavasoft Ad-aware is real good for this. Also, it might be helpful if you put up your HijackThis log on this forum so I can see what processes you have and what might be causing your problem.

Take your harddrive(s) out of the pc, and put them in an other one, and reformat them there, to get a good clean format. then put them back into ur pc, and put windows installation cd. This should take care of it.

you didn't, by chance, back up before the format and then put you're backed up files back on the drive, did you? if so, you may be just putting the virus right back on again. also goto start, run and type msconfig and see whats in the startup.... or better yet just run hijackthis and post it's log.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom