XP puts folders where I don't want them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schecters

In Runtime
XP puts certain folders in my non-system partition, and it kind of annoys me. These folders are:
msdownld.tmp
MSOCache
RECYCLER

Why are they created on a partition the os doesn't reside on? I assume the first two have something to do with windows update or something similar. The recycler folder is a system folder.

I don't really care that they exist, but it's where they exist. I haven't changed any environmental variables, so I don't really get why they are created on my other partition. Hmm. Ideas?

Windows installs those on all paritions in any Windows Installation.

Recycler is an extra space to store Recycle Bin Information if the Windows Partition went over its predefined percentage limit.

The other ones are just needed for Windows Update to my current knowledge but I could be wrong.

All three of those folders are needed for the functions of the system so I would just leave them. I am not saying you couldn't delete them, but I wouldn't recommend you do.

Kind Regards,
Techpro5238

The dlownload temp you can get rid of no harm no foul there.

The recycler is on every drive and you can not get rid of it.

The Cache is also another you can not get rid of. They are file on every dirve on every system.

Well Tech Pro was right on the Recycle part. Each drive has a percentage saved for the recycle bin. which is what the recycler is used for. Even if you auto delete files the recycler stay cause the Recycle bin is still technically there even if it does nothing.

Bu t yes each drive does have it's own cache. Hance the 1MB or 16MB cache specs on the drives. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom