Removed and Reinserted RAM, PC fails to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Rider

Baseband Member
So I try to install XP Sp2 today and my gives me a BSoD, then windows
fails to start and the recovery console keep crashing on me. For some
reason I decided to remove my two 256mb RAM and put them back in, now my computer won't even start, everytime I try to start it my monitor is blank and I hear my speakers start to beep, which I guess is suppose to tell me what's wrong, but the beeping goes on and I turned my pc off at beep 25 or so. Can someone give any insight on what's wrong?

open up ur pc, and reset the cmos, if it doesnt work, do not put any new component in ur pc, ur mobo my be screwd, or ur ram, pout them in an other pc and c if they are good or not.

Re-check the seat and placement of your ram.
APG video cards are known to come loose easily, remove and re-seat.

XP service pack 2 crashed your system.

Quick search on dogpile did not find any issuse reported yet.
Same thing happened when SP 1 was released.

I have forgot to install the 4-pin molex to my 9800 Pro before, and it beeped and beeped and beeped forever.

You could try reseting BIOS or re-seating the RAM as billzhills suggested.

theres certain beep codes 2 Long 1 short, and flashin num lock, i think would be your memory. you could had fried module, but thats rare. try booting up with one stick, and if that doesnt work. try switching the stick and booting up with the other. make sure theres no power to your mobo, while doing this.

Thanks, it turns out that the RAM wasn't stuck back in properly. But with this problem fixed I upgraded to SP2, I don't actually know if it was done successfully because right after the upgrade finished I am greeted with a screen that says

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.
Seconds until Windows starts: 30

Picking last know good config, or start windows normally gives me a quick flash of a BSoD and another flash of the windows loading screen, then the computer reboots. I tried booting from cd but before can't because I am met with that screen before the cd can execute.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

if you can get in through safe mode, goto Add/Remove programs and XP updates are usually show as HotFix im not sure which one or ones would be for SP2, but you can try that out.

The computer reboots before I'm able to get into safe mode. Difference is I don't see the BSoD flash before it reboots.

Award BIOS beeps

1x short> no error
1x long> memory not seated properly
2x short> little error, press F1
1xlong 2xshot> error video card
1xlong 3xshort > error keyboard
continous beeping> memory or video not found

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom