Which vista to buy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ There is no reason to get Ultimate. It only has a few extra features that are not worth the price increase over Home Premium.

Def agree there. Just get the OEM Home Premium linked above, it's the best way to go. Ultimate costs way more for a few features like file encryption that can be added via freeware anyways. There's no reason to spend all that extra money it's just a gimmick.

I run x64 vista and have never run into a game that I couldn't play. As for unsigned drivers, yes this can be an issue, especially for RivaTuner and other overclocking software. Yet, there are 2 that I know of that don't require any reboots or driver signing, and they are EVGA's and Gainward's, both available at their respective sites.

The one app I do remember not having any support for x64 was the Microsoft Fingerprint Reader that I used in x32 before upgrading. They say they will never add x64 support for it's drivers, so aside from that, x64 support is A-Okay.

alright thanks for all the input guys, I think I will go with 64, it's the wave of the future so I'm sure things will work itself out.

thanks!

^most of the issues with 64bit are long fixed and most apps work with 64bit..you shouldn't have any problems (maybe the odd one) im getting hp 64 in a few months also.

Calcprogrammer1 wrote:
the only bad thing is that unsigned drivers are not allowed at all in 64 bit Vista SP1, which only affects a few apps (namely ATiTool and RivaTuner...can't overclock your graphics with these apps in 64 bit SP1 [not just Ultimate, any Vista 64 SP1 has the driver lock]).

I have 64 bit home premium vista SP1 and I ran rivatuner just fine and can oc my vid card with it no problems. I seem to recall it warning and asking about unsigned and I selected run anyway, could be wrong on that though, but it does run.

Def agree there. Just get the OEM Home Premium linked above, it's the best way to go. Ultimate costs way more for a few features like file encryption that can be added via freeware anyways. There's no reason to spend all that extra money it's just a gimmick.

You're not the only one there. Originally I was looking to grab a copy of Ultimate at a pc show to find that they sold that out fast when Vista was first out. I was stuck with Home Premium or a wait. HP thank you!

The Ultimate sees more support for networking much like XP Pro saw that over the Home edition. It's no surprise like I mentioned earlier that many games will run on the 64bit as well as 32bit editions due to seeing more cross platform support and not simply written for one version only like some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom