My start at a build-log!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackhawk13

In Runtime
Ok. I'm not going to lie, I don't know if this is the right forum to be posting this in. If it isn't, could someone please move it to it's rightful place. :)

Anyways, I'm currently running an AMD system with a 3500+ processor, and a Radeon 9200 Video card :D ... Godly, I know.

A month ago, I ordered a nice Pioneer DVD drive...

Canada Computers - CD/DVD/RW /Blu-Ray Drives > Internal DVD Drives : Pioneer DVR-212D(Black) SATA DVD-Writer 18x DVD+R/-R 8x DVD+RW/6x DVD-RW 8x DVD+/-R9 Dual Layer 40x CD-R 32x CD-RW OEM.

I figured since it was SATA, and my computer had SATA connectors inside of it, it would work. I was wrong. The SATA ports on my motherboard only support hard-drives, and is specifically used for the built-in RAID controller on it. Oh well, good thing I kept the drive, because now I don't have to order one for the computer I'm building. :)

Now, just a couple of minutes ago, I ordered a beauty set of RAM that has a nice $30 MIR on it...

Canada Computers - Memory > Desktop Memory > DDR2 800 PC2-6400+ : OCZ (OCZ2P800R22GK) DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz Platinum XTC Revision 2 2GB (2x1024MB) Dual Channel Kit.

As for the future parts, I'm planning something like this...

Case: Antec Three Hundred (The baby sister to the Nine Hundred)
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L (I've heard good things)
CPU: Intel E8200 2.66ghz (A nice new 1333mhz FSB processor)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB (Lots of space :) )
GPU: EVGA 8800GT (Possibly a Galaxy, we shall see)
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-450VX (Enough for what I'll be using)

That's it for now, until my next pay cheque. :p

Also, I'll add in some pictures as I go along, including some of me putting it together.

Toodles, for now!

Why not get the E8400? I thought the price difference was small.

Also are you going to overclock? Different Heatsink? Spend more money through tech forums!

I switched the E8200 out for a Q6600. Older technology, but a bit more future-proof, I think. And it's only like $20-30 more. :)

That should be tech-forums motto "Spend more money through us!" heh.

Good to know, would like to see some pics :p

Though if you haven't ordered the video card already you might want to go with something a bit newer and better. I would recommend either the HD 4850 or the 9800GTX, bother costing around $200 (4850 is a bit less) and they come with free games!

The Corsair 450VX should be enough to support a 4850, I figure. Someday later down the road, I'm thinking two 4870X2's with a Maximus motherboard. So I'll be needing a slightly higher power PSU for that, lol. We shall see. :p

The "lots of space" 500gb HD will fill up faster then you'd like. My 1.25 tb's are completely filled, as well as a 500gb eMac, and I'm about to buy a couple more 640gb WD's.

...it's depressing.

That is depressing. I still use my 40GB (of which I have 25GB free) laptop harddrive for most of my stuff, except music and pictures which I've loaded on to an external (and that uses up 70GB). So I've used under 90GB. I guess I don't make/watch enough movies on my computer.

The "lots of space" 500gb HD will fill up faster then you'd like. My 1.25 tb's are completely filled, as well as a 500gb eMac, and I'm about to buy a couple more 640gb WD's.

...it's depressing.

Thats quite a dirty movie collection you've got goin on there. To use up that amount of space is quite crazy. Your internet provider must hate you.

-Cheers

The mobo and CPU shipped a couple of days ago. :D.

I got it all hooked up, and my poor little 380W Cooler Master PSU can't handle the heat! Oh well, until next pay cheque. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom