I did something really stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.

andydude117

Baseband Member
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I have a slight problem.

I read online how to change the start button in Windows XP. It invloved changing explorer.exe in the windows directory. So I copied it, and changed it, and then accidentally deleted the original. I just decided that I hate the one I made, and I wanted to go back to the old one. But now I can't.

So I was wondering if anyone could attach explorer.exe so I can fix my problem?

Thanks,
Andy

1st, if u wana change the start button or w/e use stylexp or sumthing and change the whole style, it looks much better. And the file should be on ur windows cd normally

oh, well how do u atach files here? ill attach mine if its possible, or il send by email.

andydude, just type in 'sfc' (without the quotes) at the run command. The system file checker will search for your missing file on the XP CD and replace it on your HDD.

um, I think just copying someone elses explorer.exe would be a bad idea. If you've done that already and are having problems you can always goto dos, edit the system.ini file and change the

shell=explorer.exe

and change it to

shell=progman.exe

boot up and it will boot not to the desktop, but into program manager. from there you can run sfc

oh, forgot to add... when you're done running sfc, restart again in safe mode and go back into system.ini and change

shell=progman.exe

BACK to

shell=explorer.exe

dont screw with anything else in there!!!! ;) man, I'm surprised I remember some of these win9x tricks....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom