Suggestions on collaboration tool or remote desktop software needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

techlover

Beta member
I hope this post goes here……

Due to many different reasons I get to work at home and I've been looking for a good synchronous tool ever since for me and my colleagues. I've tried many different collaboration tools and remote desktop connection software (weboffice, quickbase, writewith, remote google desktop, remotecall….etc) but none of them seemed perfect to me.

I'm looking for something allows me to co-edit a document with my colleagues in the same time. I heard that there are some online collaboration tools for business users out there but they all cost money. The project I'm working on is with a tight budget and I don't think the director would spend any penny on new software license. sigh…….:(

The one I'm using now is Gogrok (Gogrok home page). It works well to me so far. The co-browsing screen loaded sluggishly on some quick movements but still acceptable. What I like about it is that it allows me to work on the same computer desktop with my coworkers and enables document collaboration in almost any format, and the most important—it's free! Gogrok has to run with Skype because it doesn't do voice and text chat. It doesn't bother me because we've been using Skype from the beginning.

Any recommendation on good collaboration tools or remote desktop software? I'm still looking for the best one!

1. Download Window Live Messenger from here

2. Create Messenger accounts here if you don't already have them. (Them as in conjunction with yourself and co-workers)

3. You and your co-worker(s) log into Windows Live Messenger with the accounts you created.

4. Add each other to your contacts list by click on the "Contacts" menu, then clicking on "Add A Contact".

5. Once you have added and accepted each other, right click on your Co-worker in the contact list and select "Start an Activity" then a window should pop up with a menu. On the menu it should say "Request Remote Assistance". If you click on that a notification will be sent to your co-worker to say that you have requested assistance. This will let them use your computer as if it were theirs, and do things such as; edit documents.

I hope that somehow helped.

I dont think remote Assistance will be of use. Cause that will allow him to take over the PC and work on the project but not for them to use the PC while he is using it.

Maybe something like VNC?

5. Once you have added and accepted each other, right click on your Co-worker in the contact list and select "Start an Activity" then a window should pop up with a menu. On the menu it should say "Request Remote Assistance". If you click on that a notification will be sent to your co-worker to say that you have requested assistance. This will let them use your computer as if it were theirs, and do things such as; edit documents.
I hope that somehow helped.

actually MSN was the first remote tool i tried but didn't like it at all.....:(
i hope MSN will enhance its remote access ability in the future but i somehow don't think this is the function they will be focusing on.

I dont think remote Assistance will be of use. Cause that will allow him to take over the PC and work on the project but not for them to use the PC while he is using it.

Maybe something like VNC?

Gogork allows my coworkers to work on my pc with me together but i have to keep the shared windows on otherwise they won't be able to work on it. i'm seriously thinking about getting a new laptop so i can check my personal emails while they're working on my current one. :cool:

I've never try vnc. is that a remote control software? i'll check the review and see if it fits my needs better. Thank!

I've never try vnc. is that a remote control software? i'll check the review and see if it fits my needs better. Thank!

oh no... vnc is not a freeware. my stingy director won't be happy about this. I'll get the demo first anyway....

Have you tried google doc's?

my team is expecting real time co-editing so google docs was not on our tool try out list. it's a good stuff though! i'm using it to convert my word files into pdf. :happy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom