Problem with my DVD Drive! Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayden_Z

Baseband Member
I got my PC at the start of the year, so its not too old. I've got a Lite-On DVDRW LH 20A1S dvd drive.

Here's the problem:

I've been using it fine with no probls since I got it, but then the other day it wouldn't read my DVD drive at all when I put either blank or full discs in it. I reset the PC and it then let me burn a DVD.

But see, this keeps happening. If I try to burn a DVD, it will work if its the first time I've tried to since turning the PC on, but then after that it won't. In Nero and ImageBurn it always says Device is not ready.

Any ideas guys? It's really getting on my nerves.

thanks.

-Hayden.

How much has it been used? Average amount or heavy burning?

If jsut average i would say it could be in need of a clean or firmware update.

If heavy usage could have killed it already. I have done that myself. Backed up over 200 movies and killed my burner in 2 weeks. Brand new....

Well, I wouldn't think that I've done over 200 movies, but I would have done a fair bit since I got it.

Still, doesn't it seem weird that it works the first time after a restart?

Not really. Cause from what i gather it is only the first time. Then it stops right? So that tells me it oculd be dying or that there is something wrong with the controller.

Update your chipset drivers.

At the risk of sounding ignorant, how do I identify what drivers I need? Like what brand?

And by chipset drivers do you mean something with the motherboard?

CPUID

Download CPUz. Run it. That will give you the make and model of your mother board. From there google it. On the manufacturer's website you should be able to find chipset drivers for that specific board. This updates things for USB and other controllers.

If you have a prebuilt PC go the the Manufacturer's website and search thru the downloads. They should be there.

Alright, I downloaded and installed what I'm pretty sure was the right Chipset drivers. I used that DriverAgent site to check if they were up to date. It said they weren't, but I don't know.

I'll burn a heap of DVD and see how I go. I'll be back with the results.

Also, and this is a little off issue, but with my PC I've got two USBs and a red MIC in jack and a Green headphone Jack on the front.

The problem is the Mic in and the headphone jack don't work at all. The ones at the back do, however. Any ideas on what might be causing that.

And thanks greatly for all the help thus far. Really appreciate it.

Sounds as if the front ports are not configured or plugged in to the mobo.

I'll have to open up the case and plug em in. The guys should've done it when they put the PC together.

As for the DVD drive, I'm still having the same problems!

Okay, I was trying to check the burner again, and I've got some more info about the problem.

I turned on the PC and it read the burner fine. Then I opened the DVD drive and closed it again. After that it wouldn't recognize it as there.

bump!!!!1

The drive is dead. If when you open it the problems occur you need a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom