New SATA HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

nj2tx

Beta member
Hi Guys, I have a new hard drive and had some major noobish questions.
I just received my new hard drive and was curious what the first step was.
The system is a gateway GT5012 and the hard drive is a Western Digital WD1600AAJS.

Ok..the easy stuff is connecting the SATA cable and and the power cable, but if i do that the computer will not boot up. I can see a green light on the motherboard. Even though there is no OS on it, i thought i would atleast get a error message. I appreciate any help you guys can give :)

Thanks!
Doug

Do you already have a IDE driver already installed? Do you have the BIOS set to boot from SATA. Have you used the BIOS and turned on the SATA drive?

The computer originally came with a SATA hard dive, but it was actually stolen by an old roomate. The computer will not boot at all. I can see the green light on the motherboard showing power is cycling, but it just wont turn on ... any ideas?

Can you get into the BIOS? It will not boot cause you need to isntall a OS. For that boot from the CD first and install it. ;)

actually it wouldnt even boot, i found out the hard drive was DOA....i got it up and running with another drive--thanks for responding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom