Inserted new RAM, pc wouldn't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
that isnt a good sign, i would bring it to ur closest pc place and get them to test the ram, both the 512 and 128.

Are you getting any beeps at all?
Also the burning smell, you need to find where it came from. That will tell you what happened.
I know this sounds weird, but unmount the Mobo and start smelling at it. You will know where the problem came from as soon as you smell it.
It is possible that something shorted and the board is now toast. But you need to identify the burn location.

Uh...I know Unaris and Toast are covering a lot of the bases, but...has anyone tried plugging a different vidcard into this box?

If the fans are coming on and he's not getting any beeps, he could have fried a lot of stuff. Could be the vid card, could be the motherboard, could be the RAM...could be all three.

And yeah. Smell...definately bad.

You may not be able to see any signs of burn damage. If you have another vidcard (or if yer mainboard has a vid-card integrated into it) try switching. You already ruled out that the RAM isn't the problem. After vid-card comes motherboard. Check it's mf site for testing details.

Whatever you do, don't plug anything else until you have located the faulty component (Sorry shoobierat). The reason is simple, if i your MOBO is shorted out and took your video or RAM out, putting in new one will simply fry them too.

You can try your vid card and RAM in another computer if you want without danger but don't plug anything new on that MOBO until you proved it serv....

ShadowFax, time to buy another motherboard. It is fried. If you smelt something burning in your system, it was the memory in the memory slot. Bad deal for sure but there is nothing else you can do. Good work guys!! You gave him lots of help but the motherboard is dead.

Can anyone tell me how me putting in the RAM could blow anything??

Literally I put it in, then when I booted up, bang.....****ing nothin

1. Bad RAM
2. Bad slot
3. Incompatible types
4. Bad mobo
5. OCed RAM setup with unsupporting RAM
6. Cheap board/RAM
7. Rough install
8. RAM-stick board wrong width (does happen sometimes)
9. Dirt in RAM slot
10. Dirt dislodged or entered PC upon work, shorting out a circuit
11. Power surge
12. Bumped another connection on the board (such as PS connector) causing bad-connection surge
13. helpmeplease came in and cut one of your wires

Could be a number of reasons. Pick your number.

** Oh oh, forgot one more! 14. STATIC **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom