Windows 98/98se/Me/2k Essensals Program List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
As some people might know, my professsion is a computer tech. What I want to to do is put together a list of Apps, Updates and Patches so I can get the bare basics of a windows 98/98se/Me/2k back up and running again.

At this stage, I want to keep things down to the Essensals that one needs to get a PC back up and running as I want to keep this all on 1 CD if opposible.

So far my list as included the following

Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4
Direct X 9.0c
Internet Explorer 6
Windows Media Player 9
Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0
Windows Installer 2.0
Windows Installer 3.0

Acrobat Reader 4.0 (98/Me)
Acrobat Reader 6.0 (2k)
WinZip
WinRar

Realtek 10/100 Network Card Driver (98)
Intel Pro/100 Network Card Driver (98/Me/2k)
NetGear 10/100 Network Card Driver (98/Me/2k)
USB Network Card Driver*
USB External Hard Drive Driver*

* this is for the usb nic/hard drive that I keep in my tool kit

Any thing else that I might be missing out on?

How about 7Zip, that handles most if not all file compression types even .iso

Firewall? AntiVirus? If you are running anything before 2000 dont. Run 2000 or higher. the 9X platform is dead and there has not been updates in a year. It is got more holes than a sponge now.

Firewall? AntiVirus? If you are running anything before 2000 dont. Run 2000 or higher. the 9X platform is dead and there has not been updates in a year. It is got more holes than a sponge now.

I was thinking a copy of AVG 7.5, however it's only a matter of time before they stop updating that.

I am not sure if there is ANY anti virus program that support 9x these days. Like the funny thing is that Norton 2008 have lower hardware requirements than the current version of McAfee. However Norton's 2008 will only support Xp and Vista. Where McAfee 2008 will support 2000.

Again, it's another ticking time bomb when it comes down to support. However it's still better than nothing.

How about 7Zip, that handles most if not all file compression types even .iso
Most of my clients are lucky to even know what RAR is, let alone some of these newer compression tools.

Again, it's another ticking time bomb when it comes down to support. However it's still better than nothing.

AFAIK they will continue support. Cause that is the most recent version of Avast that the requirements page came from. So they are still supporting it with version 4.8 the most recent release.

But you are right. It is only a matter of time till the 9X platform gets dropped.

How about a decent codec pack? I know its not strictly essential but then neither are winrar or acrobat reader. Also Java and flash.

Codec pack is mainly for viewing media. If they use 98 for that then yeah. But i think VLC would be a better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom