beeping and powering off from overheating>?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ropeadopa

Baseband Member
Hello. when i try to run games like call of duty or am really doing lots of multi tasking my computer sometimes powers off and makes long beeps until i power off the computer with the switch on the back power supply. My best guess is because it is over heating. Is this likely the case?

Its an amd athalon 2400+ cpu. I hear AMD's get pretty hot and the motherboard may power off the computer if the cpu gets too hot. thats is what i gather from going through the bios anyway. but, i am stuck. so could someone please gimme their 2 cents on why i keep powering off and what i can do about that?

thank you.

Intel P4s were the cpus that ran hot for the most part. But in addition to a cpu overheating and the protection circuit kicking in to see the system shut down you could be looking a power supply or board problem if the cpu isn't taking a dive on you. A constant beeping does point at a cpu not holding up any longer under a good load.

The first thing to look at is the hardware monitor in the bios to see just what is being seen there for a temp. Is this a Socket A XP2400+ you are referring to there? If the cpu has a stock heat sink/fan combination on it the thermal pad is probably letting go from age where a 3rd party cpu cooler and a fresh application of Artic Silver 5 or MX2 on a Zalman 7000b model cooler will see temps brought right down.

The other thing that will often see a system shutdown when placing a good load for power doesn't make any beeping sound namely the power supply not seeing good regulation. For XP and Vista alike one program called PC Wizard 2008 can display cpu, board, and even the video card's temps while in Windows and usually is right on with the hardware monitor. That's a free program found at CPUID

yes its a socket A cpu.

heres what that pc wizard program you refered me to had to say:

Processor Temperature : 81.5 °C
Mainboard Temperature : 102 °C

Video Monitoring : nVidia Driver + Thermal Diode
GPU Temperature : 64 °C
GPU Diode : 64.8 °C

is this very hot?

I would say! When a fan quit suddenly on Scythe cpu cooler on one of the old Socket A builds here the XP3200+ saw an 85C max temp before seeing the cooler replaced.

The case there sounds like it was never cleaned with fans loaded up with dust and dirt as well. Or a case may have quit on you as well as seeing a need to add a fan to see better air flow.

At times any program even PC Wizard can report higher then actual temps on another note if the installation sees a bad install. That can also happen like was known with the former free edition of Everest Home Edition a free benchmarking program no longer seen.

Compare those to what is seen with the hardware monitor in the bios that sees direct readings from the sensors on the board. If they are too close you have a definite temp problem to work on.

ok i am extremely rusty on hardware so excuse my ignorance. but what exactly is it im looking for. I know the fan on this cpu works, but maybe it was always this bad. am i looking for any socket A cpu fan?

i wanna get it right and make sure its ultra cool so is there any product u recommend?

Mainboard : Abit KD7A(VIA KT400A-8235)
thats my motherboard as well if that helps.

thank you very much.

There are four Zalman models that will easily drop right on there with ease. Two see aluminum and copper fins and one all copper with a black fan are less then $30-. The one other sees a blue led instead for $39.99 at Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Here I simply grabbed the 7000b with the blue led when seeing that by itself at another vendor at the time. That went on with the Zalman thermal pasted it comes with when going to rebuild the old case recently since I had just got that in and applied AS-5 and saw another board put to use setting that aside.

Any of the four models will work unless you prefer to spend the extra $10 for a blue led on the one seen at Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS7000B-Cu LED 92mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

ok excellent thank you so much for ur help.

but i have another mystery.

last night was a nightmare as far as this problem goes. I must have powered off 10 times in a hour and sometimes it was while i was just looking in the bios or windows was starting.
IN FACT, while in the bios, i am just sitting there looking at the cpu temp which reads between 70-85 degrees and my pc kept powering off!!. but my "shutdown temperature" is 120 degrees? maybe it is not overheating after all? what the **** is goin on!!

omg this is so odd and frustrating.

when I power off, the sound gives me a two tone buzzing noise by the way.

sorry for being a nuisance!

thank you.

Okay.now we look elsewhere. What is your full system specs? Include power supply so we can rule that out? Have you tested the voltage on your power supply? Have you tested youur memory? What is the specific pattern of the beeps?(ie. two long one short) Is it the same every time? Did you look up the error beeps for your board?

i have no idea how to test voltage. this is an old pc i built from parts from different sites many years ago.

amd athalon 2400+
768+ ram
128 gb nvidia vid card

i dont know the power supply probably 400 watts?

Mainboard : Abit KD7A(VIA KT400A-8235)

sorry i dont have much time between this thing powering off on me. but you know. its odd it reports that its not reaching the heat turn off point, but thats waht seems to be happening.

and the beeps are same length, and same type of beeps every single time. 2 tones that alternate back and forth until i power it off from behind. they are both long beeps. i've never heard of that before so im very confused. im already pretty sure mainboard guide will not have anything on beeping like that but im about to try to find it.

oh and i tried to find the maximum temperature for amd athalon 2400+ cpus and it said that it was 65 degrees. so maybe the cpu powers itself off? sorry im not sure waht i am doing! it says online that pentiums can never overheat just slow down but amd can overheat very easily.

thanks again.

ok guys thanks for your help.

the answer appears to be:

vaccuming out all the parts.

my cpu temp is now staying at 54 degrees. thats better than 90 for sure.

my mainboard temp is at 66 however. it also appears the mainboard fan just broke after i vaccumed it. donno what im gonna do about that.

my powersupply was filthy and i cleaned all that crap out of those vents.

needless to say ive never seen my cpu run this cold so thank you for ur help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom