My gaming rig. What to upgrade next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trapspeed

Beta member
I'm trying to run Age of Conan on atleast medium settings with a constant 30+ fps but I've been failing to do even that.

My comp
Intel Pentium D 920
Intel D865GSA
2GB Ram
XFX Geforce 7800GS AGP

What would net me more FPS in the game. Upgrading the video card to an HD3850 AGP or upping the ram to 4 gigs?

the gfx card will help you more than the ram. You could save up some more money and get a new cpu/mobo combo

the gfx card will help you more than the ram. You could save up some more money and get a new cpu/mobo combo

i agree with Jae... save up and go for a CPU/mobo overhaul... then your video card... that will give you the best performance boost... also, RAM... but you didnt list what you have now, so i dunno...
usually for gaming, your video card is gonna be the determining factor, but... not if its limited by your CPU or mobo... it also depends on what kind of games your playing... FPSs or graphically intense programs are gonna be your GPU, ones with lots of units or AI will be your CPU... AoC is an MMORPG, so id say go CPU first, but... its a pretty intense game for graphics, so... video card would be good too... tough call... i still suggest a CPU/mobo upgrade first tho...
just some thoughts :] - RK

First try to get a cheap Pentium Dual-Core (aka Conroe e2xxx series) or an e7200, even at stock they blow your current Pentium D away even though most of the e2xxx series are half your PC"s clock speed (ya Boo-hoo for Netburst, Intel really dropped the bomb then.. )

Next thing would be your board, eventually if you want to overclock, that 865 series isn't going to cut it (plus you can move to PCI-e)

next would be your power Supply because its probably too weak for a good PCI-e Video Card, then get a Video Card... (this would cost you around $300)

^ I'm looking @ the e2200 right now...

I'm trying to decide between the dual core and the quad core ...

is it worth the extra 250 or so bucks ?? would it be THAT big of an improvment ??

I'm also going to be playing AoC :)

For gaming on a budget, no, not really. Quads are quite cheap at the moment, but are still way over the e2* series. Its more of an E8400/E6850 vs Q6600 argument, if you are looking in the E2* range, don't bother. Games don't use more than 2 cores anyway.

Otherwise, I agree with the above advice. A reasonable mobo (P35?), an e2180 or so and say an 8800gt (with a psu to support) is a great bang-for-buck gaming machine.

Games don't use more than 2 cores anyway.

Actually, quite a few games out now DO utilize more than 2 cores. I'm not sure if Age of Conan does, though.. I just wanted to correct that statement since you implied that NO games used more than 2 cores and that would have been dead wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom