SLI + 2nd monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

veedubfreak

Golden Master
Ok so i know this question makes its way around quite a bit. Seeing as i'm the resident video card hoor, i have figured out how to do it in both xp and vista and figured i'd pass along the knowledge to those who are interested.

If you are using xp its pretty easy, all you need is a third video card, an ati 1650 is a pretty cheap solution, and makes it easy.

As for vista, the os dislikes using 2 different vendors. So first things first. You need a 680i or 780i mobo. Must have 3 pci-e slots. Although i guess you could get away with a pci card and a 750i.

Install the card you plan to use for your secondary monitor. Boot up, with the primary monitor plugged into the card. Once the card is installed, vista will want you to reboot. Reboot, and once back into windows, disable the card. Next, shut the machine down. At this point, reinstall your 2 cards you are using for SLI, and move your 2nd monitor to the non sli video card. Boot up again, install those cards, enable SLI, enable the card you disabled in step 1 and boom, you now have SLI and the ability to use a 2nd monitor.

Not sure for xp, i know i was able to use an ati card, but i'm pretty sure you could do the same thing as with vista. I just know that in vista you CANT use an ati card. Seeing as i deleted my XP partition i cant test the theory ><

I've come across a problem veedub. I had disabled the card for my second display like you said... but when i reboot... because its not enabled... I can't do anything with that screen because it was my main screen... and at the time.. the only card on the mobo. I'm confused... because I don't understand how I can use the monitor after I disable it. This is becoming a huge hassle... any insight from the guru?

When you shut the machine down after disabling the card, thats when you put the SLI cards back in.

I did... just as you said... and i put my main monitor in the hdmi port on the 9800. But then I can't re-enable the other card because I can't see my taskbar or anything... cause it was set on that card... on the monitor that isn't enabled yet. I tried for about an hour to move my mouse over to the screen and try and grab windows to move them over to my main one... but I gave up... way to frustrating.

I went through your guide again... and this time I think it worked. I have both screens being used by each card. However, the option in the graphic card display properties doesn't give me the option to set multiple gpu's anymore... system says that both cards are installed successfully to. But, before I went and did this... the card was originally set to use two gpu's... would it still be the case... or is there anyway for me to find out?

Ya, if you have the 2nd card + sli cards, it wont give you the option to turn SLI off. So thats normal. If you need to disable SLI, you have to first disable the 2nd card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom