RAM: 3GB vs 2GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

page006

Solid State Member
I am buying a new computer soon mostly with Age of Conan, Starcraft 2 and Battlefield 3 in mind. Now my question is, will upgrading to 3GB of RAM over 2GB give me a noticeable difference while playing? If this isnt just an easy yes, no or not really question let me know what other information you need about the machine I am buying.

Not really...

You'd notice more of a jump from 2gb to 4gb, and since most 4gb Kits are like $20 more than 2gb Kits... why not

Also wouldn't the 2GB, assuming they'd be in dual channel, be just as fast (or faster) as having the 3GB of ram since it wouldn't be able to be ran in dual channel?

True, but what if its 2gb (1x1) + 1gb (512x512) then its still 2 Dual Channel

Do what vernong said. Because most likely you are going to be running a 32bit OS and wont be able to get all the 4gb

I'm not sure about the truth of the following statement

but Vista Basic 32bit does support 2gb Max, but Home Premium 32bit and higher can support more than 4gb... (not sure if its true though)

I dunno squat about vista, Im an xp fanboy still. Next build ill buy vista with, once all the bugs are worked out. Hopefully when it gets to service pack 2, it will be near flawless like XP at sp2.

I'm not sure about the truth of the following statement

but Vista Basic 32bit does support 2gb Max, but Home Premium 32bit and higher can support more than 4gb... (not sure if its true though)

Nope. Any 32bit OS's max is 3-3.5GB (including video RAM). Not sure on the Vista Basic part, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom