Yet another IE problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
You still didn't drill down to the correct key. If you read my post above, i said:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\ShellEx\IconHandler

No matter. I can see now your registry doesn't contain the shell extension subkey which explains why your IE won't open in your first (problematic) account. Quite strange... i'm surprised that the same problem doesn't occur in the new account you created... which leads me to believe it's something in your current user key or something in the user account settings that have gotten corrupt somehow. It's probably the latter in my opinion since this the missing subkey is in the classes root key.

Drill down to the following subkey in the same tree that you posted your screenshot. This time, make sure you drill down exactly to the correct subkey.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\open\ddeexec\Application

Highlight the Application subkey and look in the right pane for the default value; There should be a string value that says IExplore. If that is the case, we could try creating the missing subkey.

Since you're using multiple browsers, it may or may not say that. If it doesn't, then make a full backup of your registry just in case we need to revert back to it.

Again, going back to the original subkey I told you to look in, under the htmlfile key, create a subkey called "ShellEx" exactly as is w/out the quotes. Then create another subkey under that called "IconHandler" When you're done, you'll have a subkey exactly as I have typed in my posting above. Click on the subkey IconHandler and highlight it; in the right pane, you'll need to Right-click and create a new String value and give it a name of "(default)" - don't use the quotes. Once that's done, Right click on it, 'Modify' and input the following string data -- just copy and paste:

{42042206-2D85-11D3-8CFF-005004838597}

Make sure you create this subkey EXACTLY as i've instructed.

Exit the registry and reboot your system.

If this method does not work, you may have to just transfer everything to the new user account you created.

no, didn't work. ah well, i'll just continue using mozilla for the basics and when i need updates from MS I'll just access the net thru "my computer"

Thanks for all the help though.

One more try:

Browse to your IE Favorites folder and click on one of the shortcut links. Right click on it and in the context menu that pops up, select "Open with..." In the dialogue box that pops up, scroll down to IE and check the box that says "Always open with". See if that has any affect.

haha...if its not one thing then its another with probs and road blocks....did as you asked, and it doesn't give the option to "open with...", just open....see below:
ie4.jpg

Damn... that's too bad... i realize now that for some reason IE won't give you that option. :mad:

I could transfer everything over to the new account you created. Considering using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to automate that process. Click Start | Programs > Accessories > System Tools >,and then click Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.

this is getting unbelievable.....it doesn't have the "files and settings transfer wizard" there or any where else that I can find......arrrrrgh!!

this is hilarious, after installing and configuring LiteStep (an awesome desktop module) my IE started to work....go figure....harumph!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom