Computer shutting off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eclipse7

In Runtime
I havent really played any games on my PC in months, a few days ago I decided to play an old game of mine, Sims 2.
Was able to get about 15 minutes in and my computer shuts off on me. I did notice that the computer was running louder than it usually does. So I boot it back up and try again, and it shuts off in 3minutes.
After that I gave it a rest, came back and checked a few forums online for a few hours, with no problems. And, you guessed it; I tried the game again and it shut off.
Well my GPU is coming up on a year old, its a 7950gt Im assuming somewhere down the line it overheated and was damaged, although I dont see how that could happen as I have an Antec 900, and I dont overclock anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

Could still be overheating. The cards will shut down if they get hotter than a certian temp. Turning the PC back on and it shutting down aga in so fast tell me that it sounds as if the card is overheating. Get ATiTool and see what the temp of the GPU is.

Alright, was able to download it. Currently (Only using the internet) its running at 70*

Would you like me to start up the game and get a temperature?

Edit: Hrrm, actually above the temperature it lists the fan speed, its coming up at 0%

Well fan speed would be a big concern. 70 at idle is very high. I dont hit 70 even while under full load. So your card is overheating.

Alright, do you know of any program that I can use to adjust the fan speed.. or, turn the fan on? Heh

RivaTuner. That would be your best bet to control the fan speed.

Alright, im now in the system tweaks tab, under fan. I believe this is the correct tab

I see:
25% standard 2D
30% low power 3D
30% performance 3D

What would you reccomend I change?

Alright, I set each category to 50%, and so far I have had no problems with shutting off, but I'm still running at 67*
Ill raise them each to 60% and see how it takes it.

Well ive been testing a game for about an hour now, it shut off on me again. I booted back up and a screen came up telling me that my CPU overheated. Im curious though, would a hot day affect to a noticable degree? In Ca its been a little hot lately, about 80* in my neighborhood.

A hot day can yes. Open the case and clean out all the dust. Make sure your CPU fan is working properly and clean out the heatsink of the CPU.

Sorry for the delay in my responce, ive been a bit busy lately. I was able to get a few air compressed cans yesterday afternoon and cleaned my pc with it, you were right it really was caked on.

Although unluckily things took a turn for the worst, after cleaning I hooked it all back up and now it doesnt run. My computer turns on, from what I can see everything appears to be running, all the fans are anyways. But my monitor immediately goes to standby.

The only thing I did that could of caused this, is I tilted the can a little too much and it sprayed the liquid for half a second. I had sprayed it into the power supply. Although I dont think this would be the problem since the computer does actually light up and the fans start running.

Any help or input to this new matter would be appreciated

Edit: The last time my computer shut off on me, it booted back up with a screen saying the CPU overheated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom