Summer HEAT effects on a PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to clear things up:

Downstairs in my house, it stays VERY cool, probably only 65 or 70F as we keep the windows closed and the shades down, and then open them at night. It's my upstairs BEDROOM that will go to 100F, mostly because it's got 3 skylights. :eek: I've tried closing everything UPSTAIRS durning the day and it gets even hotter! So I just keep the upstairs open and the downstairs closed.

But yes, I do want to get an AC for upstairs, and I might even look into some cooling upgrades for my PC -- the video card overheated at 150F last night and locked up while playing Doom 3. (It was still about 80 - 85F in the room.) Nothing broken though, it just stalled for a minute. Whew! It's liquid cooled and has monster of a heatsink, but I guess that wasn't enough.

I'm adding another front-side case fan later. ;)

Sounds exactly how my house is.. downstairs is very cool.. but once you start walking up the stairs, more towards my room, you can just feel how much hotter it is than the rest of the house.. it can get somewhat unbearable, but at the same time the PC doesn't really overheat. I live in Roseburg, OR and yesterday it was like 97ish and my vid card actually hit mid 50s c for the first time ever I believe. I overheard my mom saying that at home depot they have this like window tint stuff that is supposed to help keep heat out. She said it was inexpensive.. so I'm going to go check that out today.. you could maybe look into it as well DJ and adding a fan never hurt ;)

You probably would have better luck if you put a fan on it to help dissipate heat better, fanless coolers get raped by high ambients.

Are those Celeron D's similar to Pentium 4's in that they are furnaces? The PC (if the cooling system is working properly) will contribute to the room getting hotter.

Do you cover up your skylights during the day?

Do you cover up your skylights during the day?

I've tried in the past -- and actually I have a "curtain" on one at the moment, but it still doesn't do much good. It keeps sun out, but heat comes in anyway. I actually think the heat is also due to the fact that the room is an attic (slanded roof, stoop, bang your head) and the celling is inches away from the roof shingles. :(

Btw, UPDATE:
I changed my cooling around today, (added new exhaust and intake) and can actually run the computer in the heat without making a fiery inferno. It's just the graphics card that goes too high. :freak:

So if I was going to add a cooling fan to my graphics card, (good idea, aspire.comptech) would I need one to fit that exact card, or are they universal?

Who said that humans can't survive past 120F? Its 119F today in Africa and we are still in spring, August will be in the 130's o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom