Some Vista Business questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraph

In Runtime
Hey everyone, I just have a few questions. I am currently downloading Windows Vista Business Edition, which I can get for free because I am a CS major at my university, so it is legal, no worries there.

Ok so first thing, is Business edition bad for any reason? I mean I mostly play games and dont want it messing that up...

Second, will installing Vista require me to format/reinstall everything, or will I still be able to keep all my files on my hard drive?

Third, I have a 500gb harddrive, but I installed XP fresh from no SP, so it is only recognized as 127gb, which is apparently a known problem. Will upgrading to Vista from XP fix that, or will I have to format and fresh install to fix it?

Why would it be bad? I don't think Business if bad, it just has extra features compared to Home.

You can upgrade but it is best to just back up and reinstall Windows, this will result in a faster computer.

Upgrading to Vista should fix the problem. As stated above, you can upgrade or install new.

Okay let me answer these in order.

1. Business Edition is not bad for any reason. It is just geared toward businesses not casual users. You can still install games and run everything as if it was Home Premium or Ultimate edition. Just some functions in those editions are missing. Media Center being the biggest.

2. If you dual boot no. But at the same time you will be required to install the applications you want to use under Vista. You can not run the applications from the XP Partition under Vista. Some may work. Most wont. So you will have to reinstall yoru software under Vista to have it work properly.

3. Install XP SP2 and the drive will be fully recognized. Upgrade it to SP3 to be fully up to date. That is the best recommendation. As fo right now you are missing a big chunck of you drive for no reason.

I guess I was thinking that way because Business was aimed at the Business group, but so was XP Professional and most gamers like it better than Home

Yes all version of Vista have DX10 support. Be it Basic or Ultimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom