Can a TV/FM tuner card act as a video capture device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubGum

Baseband Member
I'm wondering if a TV/FM tuner card can also act as a regular video capture card hooked up to a video camera so I can edit videos. And does anybody know of any good TV/FM tuners with good remotes?

All the cards I've looked at have a standard composite video port. Since the camcorder I have is not digital, I would use the composite port. I've never used a TV/FM tuner card, only video capture cards, but they seem to work the same way.

The main card I'm looking at now is a "Compro PCI TV Tuner Card, w/ REMOTE, Model "VideoMate TV PVR/FM" -RETAIL." I don't know anything about the brand but the card looks solid. And advice would be good. And I still don't know if it will work as a video capture card.

Composite Video?? Do you mean S-Video or the 3 wires(forgot what thats called), Yes you can use it as a capture device if you have the right software. I tried it with mine running the basic Pinnacle software and it wouldn't work because my card can only be accessed by the software that came with it. Also the audio hookup with my card is wacko because I have to use a 3" audio cable to hook the tuner up to the audio in port on my sound card, therefore it doesn't capture video and audio in the same file. I got madd and just went to the store and bought a DVC-80 which is a very simple capture device for like 30 bucks w/ software.

i havnt used a capture or a tuner card, so someone else with experience can prolly point out the differencess if there are any.

but i do know, u dont need to use the softwear that came with it to capture vid.

example- i had this belkin usb to RCA input adapter, and i just used virtual dub.

Musjunk22 u may wont to look here... www.doom9.org , www.videohelp.com

I have both Pinnacle and Vegas. Windows Movie Maker also has a capture feature. The three cables are composite cables, though mine only has 2 because my comcorder is only mono sound. I was hoping somebody could give me a success story but I won't be buying for awhile so maybe somebody else has some experience with getting a TV tuner card to capture from a camcorder.

The composite video that comes with most video cards is only video out, so you can't use it to capture video. It only sends a signal to another device (like a tv).

Musjunk22 said:
Composite Video?? Do you mean S-Video or the 3 wires(forgot what thats called)

composite is RCA video & stereo sound output 3wires. Component is red, blue, green separated. Used for TV's capable of higher resolution I think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom