Vista quick ? about HDD's

Status
Not open for further replies.

w-r-g

Solid State Member
I am just starting to install Vista on a new box and am at the "where do you want to install windows" screen. It lists all my hdd's and such but will not let me install it on any of them. I want to install it on a 76G Raptor and once I select it and create a primary partition and format ... then I select it to install windows and it says this is not an appropriate drive or partition. It actually says that on all the drives if I select them. I have changed the SATA selection in bios back to native but still that does not work. Since it shows all the drives I would not expect to have to install more drivers? In XP if it sees the drive then you are good to go ... so I expect that in Vista too. I have change the cable on the drive so it is now drive 0 partition 1 but still a no go. Help Please! Thanks

In the BIOS do you have the SATA selector set to ACHI or IDE?

Also did you format the drive as a primary partition? Did you create any partitions?

I have it set to IDE.....

The drive that I am going to use was in a RAID 0 setup before this .... I did nothing with it except put it in this box and put the Vista disc in and booted up...it told me it was undeclared so I created a primary partition and clicked on format after that ... when I hit next it just says "not ready to be used" or something along those lines.

I think the drive might stil be setup for RAID. Not sure how that works.

Maybe try putting hte drive in ACHI mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom