My SP3 experience...

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is good news. I am jsut about finished with my download. I will get SP3 slipstreamed and see what happens. :rolleyes:

I have never lost a CD or DVD. I still have ones i created from back in Windows 95 and they still work. I found some apps like WinRar version 3.1 still on them. So i am not worried about that at all. I am a pack rat for PC stuff.

Alright. Here is the results. After rounds and rounds and several different tests i have found that you can not slipstream SP3 to MCE at all. Methods i have tried.

MCE with the 2nd disc added thru nlite. Then added update rollout 2. then SP3. Gives you the results as i have posted. Nothing installed. No MCE no IE nothing.

I have done this with 3 different types of discs. Last effort. Gonna use just MCE 2005 disc 1 and slipstream SP3 to that. Then use nlite to slipstream disc 2 and update rollout 2 to it. But that will fail as well. Because you need those updated before you go to SP3.

So from all my tests using MCE 2002, MCE 2005 and the Dell OEM DVD all attempts to get SP3 slipstreamed to MCE are futile. It just doesnt work. Sorry.

Alright. Here is the results. After rounds and rounds and several different tests i have found that you can not slipstream SP3 to MCE at all. Methods i have tried.

MCE with the 2nd disc added thru nlite. Then added update rollout 2. then SP3. Gives you the results as i have posted. Nothing installed. No MCE no IE nothing.

I have done this with 3 different types of discs. Last effort. Gonna use just MCE 2005 disc 1 and slipstream SP3 to that. Then use nlite to slipstream disc 2 and update rollout 2 to it. But that will fail as well. Because you need those updated before you go to SP3.

So from all my tests using MCE 2002, MCE 2005 and the Dell OEM DVD all attempts to get SP3 slipstreamed to MCE are futile. It just doesnt work. Sorry.

huh? you don't need to add disc 2 and the rollup pack 2 to the dell disc. they were already on it

I know. I was using the downloads from the Microsoft site. I tried with the Dell disc as well. Still got the same issues.

I was trying every possible combination. From slipstreaming SP3 first them making a single disc to using a complete disc and slipstreaming SP3 then. Every method to create a fully up to date MCE disc is a failure.

the problem lies within 2 things. you need net framework 2.0 integrated and you have to deal with the fact that it downgrade media center 3.0 to 2.8. a fix by manju

manju said:
here is some interesting news, may be helpful, you all know when SP3 is integrated into windows xp mediacenter 2005 edition it will downgrade its version from 3.0 to 2.8 and when you install it, it will prompt "cannot copy a file so and so" in the middle of the installation and if you skip that file you will end up with xp professional with sp3.

well i have come across with a solution for this file copy error,

- Combine XP MCE 2005 CD1 and CD2 into one
- Slipstream SP3
- Manually copy the files from the ROOT\CMPNENTS\MEDIACTR of the SP3 installation file using a winrar program to the root of the slipstreamed windows xp MCE 2005 SP3
- Make the necessary changes in the txtsetup.sif as sp3 will remove the changes we made while combining CD1 and CD2
- Burn the iso and install

everything installs correctly, you will endup with windows xp MCE with sp3 but you will have windows media player 9 instead of windows media player 10.

have to figure out a way to correct this. meantime if anyone has a better solution can reply.

See that i what i have been trying to do. But all my efforts have been failures.

If i could figure out how to modify the .sif file i would attempt this again. But then again i might just lookf for it elsewhere and save myself the trouble...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom