Troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

brewabeer

Baseband Member
I have Q6600 Step B revision GO at (335x9) 1.362v and can't seem to get any higher. Also, runing Prime 95 the core temp jumps up to high 60's and fails after about 4-8 mins (running a xigamtek S1283 120mm HS). Could I have used too much AS5 on the heatsink so it's not cooling like it should? If I try to set the FSB any higher it locks up, and if I go to 1.4v to try to stabilize, it shuts down immediately.

Hey brewabeer, Thanks for helping me out with OC'ing my rig. You have the same processor that I do with the g0 stepping. While I was finding a good bios setting to OC my computer I actually ran my computer (with too much vcore) with full load on all cores and the temp went up as high as 82C. As far as I can tell my cpu never did crash because of temp but just incompatible vcore voltage with the fsb speed. You don't want to overheat the cpu too much but high 60's on a full load for your cpu is probably ok. I was getting high 60C on my cpu 'before' I started playing with the clock speeds. Now running at 3.2ghz I get 74/75C on full load and that's running prime95 on all cores (and 45/48 idle). BTW I'm running my q6600 at 3.2ghz (356 x 9) with vcore at 1.312 stable. If you want to lower your cpu temp, one thing I recommend is to lap your cpu and heatsink. I actually got a 12C to 15C temp difference from after I lapped both my cpu and heatsink. (I don't think the temp difference was completely from the lapping process but from a combination with seating the cpu better with less thermal grease)

this is my current bios settings:
robust graphics booster (auto)
CPU clock (x9)
CPU Host Clock Control (enabled)
CPU host frequency (356)
PCI express frequency (100)
C.I.A.2 (disabled)
performance enhance (standard)
system memory multiplier (2.40)
high speed dram dll settings (option 1)
DRAM timing selectable (manual)
CAS latency time (5)
DRAM RAS# to CAS# delay (5)
DRAM RAS# precharge (5)
precharge delay (15)
--------> the rest of the ram setting left to the default values
system voltage control (manual)
DDR2 over voltage control (+0.3)
PCI-E over voltage control (normal)
FSB over voltage control (normal)
CPU voltage control (1.312v)

BTW what do you have the (G)MCH over voltage control set at? I noticed with mine this was one setting I needed to keep at 'normal' to run stable. Try setting the (G)MCH back to normal and try lowering the vcore on yours setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom