Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewalesaver

Baseband Member
so, im having a problem with Vista. shocker.
when i try to open a documents window or any window that requires explorer.exe, not iexplore.exe (internet explorer), the window will stay open for about 10 seconds, then explorer.exe will close/crash, removing my taskbar, desktop icons, and the window. i would really appreciate some help, since hp chat doesnt help much. their method for everything, download patches and using system restore, isnt working. another shocker. :cool:

Guess what. You corrupted your install. Back up and reinstall.

If you want to get explorer.exe back just use Task Manager to re-run it. There are loads of people who have found this problem within Vista.

Try using this: http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/ProcessExplorer.zip

Try to see what is causing the crash, and start killing applications 1 by 1, careful not to kill a service that is windows critical.
Hopefully you will see someting happen when the crash occurs.
You can also check you device manager for issues.

Do you have service pack 1 installed?

To tell you the truth, i really dont know.
I cant update anything with Windows Update because I get errors when i try to install them.
And now I cant open Control Panel > Check for Updates because it requires explorer.exe, which keeps closing.
How can I tell?

Guess what. You corrupted your install. Back up and reinstall.

it would be nice to know what youre talking about.

If you want to get explorer.exe back just use Task Manager to re-run it. There are loads of people who have found this problem within Vista.

Try using this: http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/ProcessExplorer.zip

Try to see what is causing the crash, and start killing applications 1 by 1, careful not to kill a service that is windows critical.
Hopefully you will see someting happen when the crash occurs.
You can also check you device manager for issues.

i know how to bring it back, but i dont want to bring it back every 10 seconds and then navigate back to where i was all over again.
that application is a little too difficult for me to use, instructions would be nice. :happy:
Also, device manager shows one issue. in the hidden devices.
-npkcrypt
Im not sure what it does, but it has a yellow ! mark on it.

The install of Vista is corrupt. There is no repair function in Vista which means you have no option but to format and reinstall.

Then it should have a Recovery Partition which you can use to create a Vista DVD with. Hit F11 or F12 at boot and go to the Recovery Partition. There should be some way to burn a Vista DVD from that.

Then it should have a Recovery Partition which you can use to create a Vista DVD with. Hit F11 or F12 at boot and go to the Recovery Partition. There should be some way to burn a Vista DVD from that.

what do i need to burn a vista dvd for?

You need to reinstall Vista. You current install is corrupt. That is why the explorer.exe fails every 10 seconds. Only way to fix it is to reinstall Vista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom