Fresh reformat, SP3 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowg3

Solid State Member
Hi all,-
This is probably my 3rd thread I've made on these boards about my reformat of my hd. Not trying to be annoying, but I need some help :)

Anyway,
I got a new hd, got my info recovered and backed up from the crap drive. The new HD has windows XP sp2 installed right now with no updates. My question is, do I have to download + install all the updates between sp2 and sp3 before installing sp3, or can I just install sp3?

Also, what is the best way to install sp3, windows updater, or download from a site (if thats possible, I'm a nub.)

Any help would be appreciated
-Shadowg3

SP3 is the cumulation of all the updates after SP2 with some extra features. Use Windows Update to install SP3.

Mak, Please read.

Quote:
Hewlett-Packard is working to fix the problems that were caused when customers attempted to download Microsoft's XP Service Patch 3 onto desktops that were based on Advanced Micro Devices processors.

The reboot problems with certain HP desktops and SP3 began appearing after Microsoft posted the patch on its Web site earlier this month. The issues have been discussed in detail, especially on blogs such as the one maintained by Jesper Johansson, a former Microsoft employee, who noticed the problem and has been issuing a series of solutions for the reboot problem since May 8.
Quote:
On its Web site, HP is offering support for those trying to fix the rebooting problems and also an article on how to recover from the error.
Quote:
“This is not an AMD or Microsoft issue,” wrote Graves. “It's an issue of matching the correct software image with the correct hardware. I talked to our software engineers and it seems the real culprit is a driver called intelppm.sys. By the name, you can probably tell that this is an Intel driver... and it causes issues with AMD-based systems.”

HP Fixing XP SP3 Problems

and

Microsoft faults OEMs for some XP SP3 endless reboots

Yes i know of these issues. That is the fault of HP and ONLY HP computers. But there are ways to fix it. That should not hold anyone back from installing SP3. A scare for 1 PC Manufacturer which is thier fault is not a reason for everyone to think that SP3 is faulty and not use it.

That is the same exact thing that is posted above. Again read my previous statements. This is NOT Microsoft's nor Windows fault. This is HP's fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom