Hard Drive 'Overheating'

Status
Not open for further replies.

mal100

Beta member
Hi,

A few days ago I noticed I could hear my fan speed behaving erratically ('revving' up when it never did before etc) so I downloaded the 'speedfan' software to check my temperatures.

Having installed the program, one area of major concern is my media hard drive (samsung 80GB) is regularly achieving temperatures of 90-250 degrees C. As I type the little system tray icon is sitting at 250C. So I downloaded another program to check the temperatures and it comes out the same value. My pc currently has 2 fans working and the side panel and part of the front panel where the HDD is have been removed, so airflow shouldn;t be a problem.

My other hard drive a couple of inches below is at 33C.

What's going on here? The hard drive is fairly old so is it possible that my sensor is kaput? Should I bin it and just get an external?

Please help!!

250c would result in a basic meltdown of your harddrive.

If you go into your bios there should be an option to check temperautes, I'd check in there to see if anything else is overheating.

^^there is no way your hdd could operate at that temperature...so it is either the software, or the hdd that is giving the bad read...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom