PCMCIA Slots

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpikedCola

In Runtime
When did they start phasing out? Silly me went out and bought a Netgear WG511T without realizing that the company laptop doesnt even have a PCMCIA slot.

About 2 years ago it really started, maybe in the last 6-12mos it's really gotten going. Most laptops have an express card slot, the new standard.

You can get PCI to PCMCIA (to use them in desktop) or USB to PCMCIA (to use them in laptop/desktop or ExpressCard to PCMCIA (to use them in new laptop).

However, most if not all laptops that have ExpressCard slots probably have built in WiFi and Ethernet so why do you need to add a networking card?

^^ Because the 4xxx intel WiFi chipset isnt supported fully in Linux - also, it's easier to add a pigtail and external antenna to a PCMCIA card vs a lappy.

The only adapter for PCMCIA to expresscard I found was ~120, which would be stupid since the card was only 15 dollars. Are the USB adapters cheaper? And do they need special drivers?

Not sure, but my new laptop has an Intel 4965 a/g/n WiFi chipset and it works incredibly well in Linux (Ubuntu 8.04). If your new PCMCIA is a Broadcom chipset, then you're really out of luck, as Linux support for Broadcom chipsets is downright horrible (they work, but not very well, especially not as well as my Intel one is, it worked out of the box, Broadcom requires third party firmware and hacked drivers and stuff). I don't really know anything about the USB to PCMCIA, as the only computer that uses PCMCIA that I have is my old laptop, which I have a WiFi (Broadcom) card for. My new laptop has internal Intel wireless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom