xp pro w/ sp3? Problem,.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulls

Solid State Member
I have 2 hard drives. One has Vista Ult. 32bit (what I had hoped to use), the other has xp pro, currently with service pack 3. I use xp pro primarily. It has been stable for gaming, until lately. When I restart the pc now (Using xp pro), it will run through the boot sequence, xp splash screen comes up, monitor flashes and then stays inactive (no destop, no nothin). The power button on the monitor blinks green slowly. In order to get xp to boot with monitor on, I have to restart pc. Go to bios. Set HD boot priority to my vista drive. Save. Vista boots successfully everytime. Then I restart pc. Bios, HD priority to XP PRO drive, save and xp loads 90% of the time. And works well most of the time, intil I restart the pc. Then Rinse and repeat. I Have done a system restore twice hoping to resolve issue. Once I do this windows update starts downloading sp3 and installing it. Resulting in no change in xp pro's ability to start sucessfully. The only issue is the monitor does not work once the xp splash screen has cycled. Is this xp sp 3 problem? I feel like it's some driver issue, but I have not found the solution.

There is a issue with SP3 hiding the drive if the install doesn finish fully. Did your finish?

Yes. SP3 had no problems installing.

Can anyone conceive of any reason that my monitor will not remain active after the xp splash screen loads? But it has no problems with vista.

Could be a lost driver. Can you get into SafeMode or last know good configuration?

I have done a system restore. Twice. I have not restored it and refused the sp3 update yet though. I've also checked with viewsonic for a new driver and I'm using the current one.

So,..there seems to be no recommended solution to this problem,...that is disappointing.

Well hae you tried Safe Mode, Last know good configuration, Restore points? Have you gone into Safe Mode and reinstalled you drivers? Have you used GParted and unhide the XP Partition?

By restore points, do you mean system restore? If so, as I mentioned above, I have done several. The latest, removing windows advantage updater, that has downloaded sp3 automatically then installed. With no change in the problem. And, unhiding xp partition...Would that be necessary if I'm using two hard drives, each with a different os (xp pro and vista ult. 32b)? I'll try your other ideas. I appreciate the responses. This has been ongoing for almost a month. Cheers.

XP SP3 has not even been final for a month...

It just went final a couple of weeks ago. So i would think you would have been using a Beta of SP3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom