Update with XP problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

yangmanrui

Baseband Member
On my XP home edition SP2 when I click on "Windows Update", I get a message that I need a Windows OS to be able to get updates. I am using IE 7, I reinstalled it, but got the same message. Any ideas?

Man RUi

have you tried using IE6?

Ugh. Try ANYTHING but IE6. Worst browser ever IMO.
If windows updates say you don't have a windows OS, maybe you have a pirated or modified version. Did you buy it and install yourself or did it come already installed? Or maybe your browser has been hijacked to a non legit update site.

My computer is from Best Buy so unless they accidentally installed it...:D
Just kidding, I have had this computer for 2 years and I haven't had any problems. Software is legit. (or freeware). I have also gone directly to Microsoft Corporation for updates.

Why not IE6?

Man rui

IE6 is the most hacked browser in the history of the internet. It has more holes than a sponge.

Does it give a error code at all? Have you tried to download SP3 standalone and install it?

This is the exact message I get:

" Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.

To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later.

To upgrade to the latest version of the browser, go to the Internet Explorer Downloads website.

If you prefer to use a different web browser, you can obtain updates from the Microsoft Download Center or you can stay up to date with the latest critical and security updates by using Automatic Updates. To turn on Automatic Updates:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Depending on which Control Panel view you use, Classic or Category, do one of the following:
* Click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.
* Click Performance and Maintenance, click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.
3. Click the option that you want. Make sure Automatic Updates is not turned off."

I will try to download it separately and install it.

thanks for the tip.

Man rui

Are you running anything like IE7Pro or any other kind of add on? It sounds as if the browser is not beign recognized as IE at all which is why you would get that error.

So my first tip would be to load up IE. Go Tools>Internet Options and go under the Programs Tab. There you will see the Manage Add on function.

Here i would start off by disabling all of them. Then try to update windows. See what happens. If you still can not. You might be infected with Spyware. Report back after you try the no add on trick and I will help from there.

So, last night I disabled all add-ons, manually reinstalled IE7 but the same result, same message. I also tried to do system restore, but for some reason, I could go only 4 days back - and on top of it all, it failed.
I also ran Adaware - nothing major found,

any ideas ?

Man rui

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom