Small business server 2003 perodically locking up in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PILMAN

In Runtime
Our company uses a server for microbiz, quickbooks, and exchange. About 10-15 people are logged on it everyday. It's a rackmount server, pentium 4 2.8 ghz processer, 4 gigs of ram, 2 250 gig SATA drives hotswappable.

We're running windows 2003 SBS edition.

In January, started having issues with lockups where server would be very sluggish at specific times of the day and when rebooted, it would work fine. This server has functioned fine in the past year and a half up until January. I fixed the issue by removing sqlservr.exe (if I recall) and it ran fine. Store.exe was using a lot of virtual memory and my boss had claimed there were similar issues and he had to archive exchange to fix it.

The problem went away and then it came back in April. As of April until now, the server has run sluggish every morning at around 9:35 AM. The server requires a reboot and then it functions fine the rest of the day.

At this point, i'm rather puzzled what could be the issue, i've googled and read all the articles I can and have seen people with similar problems. Most suggested that I needed more RAM (we were only running 2 gigs at the time), last week, I ordered another 2 gigs and figured this would fix the issue. It didn't.

Google results are claiming it could be spyware (the system is clean), a failing harddrive, bad memory, faulty memory slot or controller, or something hogging all the virtual RAM.

This is really starting to become an issue for me and I have run out of ideas with the exception of pulling out the old memory to see if perhaps it is bad memory, i've also thought of doing a reinstall from a backup.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

How do you know the system is clean?

Have you run check disk to make sure there is no errors on the hard drive?

Have you run MemTEst86 on the RAM? Just because it is new RAM doesn't mean that it isn't defective in some way. Not all new parts work perfectly.

If you test each stick of RAM individually and then put it all back in and you get RAM errors you will see that there is a faulty Memory slot.

Update all the drivers.

Check the Pagefile and Vitrual RAM to see what could be causing the spikes.

How do you know the system is clean?

Have you run check disk to make sure there is no errors on the hard drive?

Have you run MemTEst86 on the RAM? Just because it is new RAM doesn't mean that it isn't defective in some way. Not all new parts work perfectly.

If you test each stick of RAM individually and then put it all back in and you get RAM errors you will see that there is a faulty Memory slot.

Update all the drivers.

Check the Pagefile and Vitrual RAM to see what could be causing the spikes.

Sorry, I meant from a spyware/virus perspective.

I have MemTEST86 and will be running it here shortly.

Drivers are all updated.

Would the symptoms indicate the possibility of RAM gone bad?

Other sources I have read were claiming it was a virtual memory issue, that STORE.EXE trys to allocate as much virtual memory as possible while SQL running will do the same.

The symptoms to me sound liek they could be from a variety of things. Such as RAM gone bad, V RAM all used. Spyware. I would suggest a look thru Osiris's guide to spyware removal. It is by far the best i have ever seen. Just as a procaution.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f51/spyware-removal-guide-osiris-165828/

Other than that i would check all the services and maybe check some indivual user profiles. Maybe one of those is corrupt when trying to log in it bogs down the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom