Build This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

True2paintball

Solid State Member
Hey everyone, I have finally taken the plunge and decided to build my first comp. It is going to be used primarily for gaming (I play graphics intensive games ie oblivion when it first came out and am interested in many of the other new ones) in addition to everyday more mundane functions (Firefox, Word, etc). After doing some research, the core components that I am looking at are as follows.

CPU: E8400
Board: EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI
Graphics: BFG Tech GeForce 8800GTX 768MB

One of the things that I am big on is longevity of a machine. I am not huge on constantly upgrading unless it is price effective (in the past 5 years my machine has gotten a new DVD burner and Video Card). This means that something that lasts is essential. That is why I have selected a single 8800 GTX and an SLI board because I figure in a year or so I can add a second card at a discounted price and be pretty set. The board can handle 8gb and I plan at starting at 4gb (2x2gb) and just adding the other two in the future. With the new motherboard technology coming out next year, I am a little concerned about how easy it would be to upgrade the CPU if necessary so input there would help as well. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

T2P

Check out the evga 750i FTW
q6600 is better than the e8400.
2 9600GT's will outperform the 8800GTX for much cheaper. Also, tigerdirect has the 9800GTX on sale for 269 right now.

Why would the q6600 be a better choice? Just because it is quad does not automatically make it a better decision.

no because the G0 Q6600 can overclock easily and they have 4 cores which gives u future proof since application and games will be using all cores soon but currently some are already using 4 cores

q6600
asus p5n-d 750I
4gb crucial tracers or ocz reapers
pcp&C 610w
8800gts 512mb (g92)
Xigmatek Rifle
seagate 7200.11 500gb (32mb cache)

Case is personal preference

Do you need keyboard/mouse/monitor/speakers?

Wouldn't it be better to buy the e8400 right now because it is able to perform better than the q6600 (stock and overclocked) and upgrade to a better 775quad once they go way down with the realease of the new 1366 motherboards?

Wouldn't it be better to buy the e8400 right now because it is able to perform better than the q6600 (stock and overclocked) and upgrade to a better 775quad once they go way down with the realease of the new 1366 motherboards?

Also I need a new monitor/speakers. The keyboard/mouse combo I have works but I will upgrade at some point.

Unless you plan on overclocking the e8400 to 4ghz, its not going to outperform the q6600. If you do any bit of multitasking, the q6600 blows away the e8400.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom