XP SP2 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

gospel

In Runtime
I know I am behind the times, but I just now upgraded from SP1 to SP2 due to some of the anti-virus and firewall software upgrades only being compatible with SP2. SP1 ran great. After upgrading, tweaking the services, and a few other things my computer is still lagging. It takes 4 times longer to boot up w/SP2 and even after that is slow to respond for at least 5 minutes. I have always tweaked my pcs to boot faster and not have unnecessary things running. I've done everything I did in the past and still SP2 is slow.
This basically sucks. It would be so great if MS didn't have a monopoly on OS's.
I have a couple of older pcs that I run a couple versions of Linux on and they run fast and flawless.

Anyone got any ideas or known problems when upgrading to SP2?

Updated all the drivers? Also, SP3 is out, so you're another SP behind still. And remember, lots of security holes were fixed in SP2.

M$ doesn't really have a monopoly on OS's... There's still OSX (which still sucks b/c it's Apple =P), and, you're already running Linux.

Really M$ has a monopoly on OS's? So what is with the thousands of different Linux distros.....

You are at least 5 years behind. So yeah you will have to google for resolutions to your issues. Cause the only response you will get is

a. Update to SP3
b. slipstream SP2 and reinstall.

Sorry but i have run SP1, SP2 and SP3 now. I barely notice any difference in boot times. I would think your applications are causing the long boot. My XP with SP3 takes less than 1 minute from the time i hit the power button to me logging in and getting my desktop.

So get newer versions of the things you are running. Make sure that the are SP2 compatible.

Yes. So your comment should be there. Not in this thread where it is about SP2. :p

He didnt recommend it. I did. He just mentioned that he was still a SP behind. :p

I did all the Windows updates and everything is working fine now.

What are the advantages of going to SP3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom