LCD PC Monitor with HDMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaazimir

Solid State Member
Hi there, i don't if this is the correct place to ask this but i can always try :happy:.
And English isn't my native language either ^^.

Ok, so the situation is as following ;

I have a 15 inch 350:1 35 ms monitor. As you can imagine, quite terrible. I don't use much heavy applications on my PC, mostly WoW and now and then CSS or Photoshop.I am also in possesion of an Xbox 360 (Premium) and a Philips TV, of which i am not satisfied with (bad quality overall, just not good) So, my eye fell on these PC monitors with HDMI abilities, which seems perfect. After some searching i decided to go with the HP w2207h 22 inch HDMI , as it had some very good reviews and overall seems very nice.
Problem is, if i were to buy this monitor, difficulties with the cables will arise, and im not an expert on that matter, this is where i need you :laughing:
I know that the monitor has a VGA and a HDMI output. My X800 Pro has either VGA or DVI-I.

Ok, question number 1 :

To connect my PC, do i need to buy a DVI-I (from my videocard) to HDMI cable, or should i buy a VGA (from my videocard) to HDMI cable?
DVI apparently is better quality, so using VGA doesn't sound that smart. ( Correct me if i'm wrong.)

question number 2 :

Connecting my Xbox!
I myself have an HDMI xbox cable that looks like this : http://www.erenumerique.fr/images/jeux/20051116/Xbox_360_cable_avance.jpg
Although i am not sure if there is any connection for that on the HP monitor, i could find any pictures of it's connection inputs, so does anyone know if the monitor has those connections?
If not, there is also this cable.
Using the second cable would take up my single HDMI slot on the monitor IF i would have to use the HDMI input for my PC ( see question 1 ).

I guess that is all i have to ask, and thanks in advance :)

1: Both ways are wrong. You won't get much of a boost. If you are using the monitor for computing only, use VGA, mostly supplied in the monitor cardboard box.

2:That's not an HDMI cable -.-
The second one is.

As for question 1: Yes, just get a DVI to HDMI cable. Still digital quality, just a different connector (VGA is analog connection).

1: Both ways are wrong. You won't get much of a boost. If you are using the monitor for computing only, use VGA, mostly supplied in the monitor cardboard box.

2:That's not an HDMI cable -.-
The second one is.

Hi there, thanks for the fast response :)

1. This is great, as i will not be having to use my HDMI for computing then :D

2. But that cable is used for HD-purposes right? Because downstairs we got a Full HD tv, and i always use that pair of cables to get my Xbox connected. What is it called?

That HDMI cable i linked actually costs 50 euro's, which is $75. A bit too much isn't it :\? Still have to buy it though.

Another small question that came up ; As VGA does not carry audio, will my speaker set, which is connected to my pc, still produce sound? I read that DVI-I does not carry audio (either), so how can i get my speaker set working?

Thanks again for the quick answer :)

As for question 1: Yes, just get a DVI to HDMI cable. Still digital quality, just a different connector (VGA is analog connection).

This would mean i won't be able to utilise 2 applications trough HDMI at the same time. Is there any sort of fancy box or cable to solve that?

Thanks again for your answer :)

Get a DVI to HDMI or HDMI to DVI cable. My new laptop has an HDMI port, yet I'm using my DVI/VGA HP w2007 monitor with it. DVI and HDMI are essentially the same thing, they just use different connectors. If you don't get a monitor that has HDMI built in (you can get a DVI monitor and use it with an HDMI port, like I am with my laptop), at least make sure your monitor supports HDCP through its DVI port (the w2007 does).

My monitor works well on my laptop (HDMI>DVI cord), desktop (DVI connection), and Xbox 360 (older model, VGA cord, no HDMI port). The DVI/HDMI cords come in both ways, you can get one that goes from HDMI to DVI and one that goes from DVI to HDMI. The only problem is if you want to use two devices, you'll have to either get a selector box or just keep plugging in the device you want to view on the monitor (HDMI plugs are pretty simple though).

Allright, so something like Lightning Review: Belkin 2-in-1 HDMI Switch ?

So i can insert both DVI-->HDMI cable + the Xbox 360 HDMI cable into that device and buy another cable that is HDMI-HDMI and im set :D?

Edit : I've taken a look on some sites, i see many different DVI-HDMI cables. Like here
allekabels - 17500 elektronica artikelen online - allekabels Couldn't figure out which one to choose :p

( i know it's Dutch but most of it is English on there :p )

Edit 2: Would be smart to buy a new videocard too, as X800 Pro isn't suited for HD etc. I have found this relatively cheap gfx card, which still does well and actually has an HDMI/DVI out, so that would be perfomance improvement+not worrying about DVI-HDMI cables.

Club 3D GeForce 7600GS - Review - De beste VGA kaart tot nu toe

Update :

Apparently there is another way to go from DVI ( PC ) to HDMI, that is to buy a HDMI-DVI adapter and then insert an HDMI-HDMI into it, which seems to work. That way you could get audio too i guess.

Also, if you take a look at http://www.msentertainment.nl/ED/xbox/console_accessoires/Xbox 360 HDMI AV Cable.jpg

You can see that the cable has a sort of box that has HDMI and 2 audio cables, but from what i know, HDMI already sends audio so why is that audio-input there? Is it neccesary to use or not? If not, would a simple HDMI-HDMI from Xbox-Monitor also work? As it is about $50 cheaper.

Also decided to buy a 7600 GS AGP, since it has some great video/HD and HDCP functions that would be great. Only $70 or less.

The cable on the left in that picture is an HDMI to HDMI cable. It carries both DIGITAL VIDEO and DIGITAL AUDIO. However, some devices or configurations you may only want to use HDMI's video stream. You may want to hook up an analog stereo, for example, or a set of PC speakers (just because it's a digital connection doesn't mean your TV's built in speakers will outperform your 2.1 or 5.1 sound system with powered subwoofer). The cord on the right solves this problem by providing ANALOG AUDIO (red and white cables for 2 or 2.1 channel connection) and DIGITAL OPTICAL AUDIO (fiber-optic LED and connector for 5.1 Dolby Digital connection to a Dolby Digital surround sound amplifier/decoder or speaker set). Also, not all HDMI supporting devices support sound through HDMI, some devices only use it for video. Devices (like my w2007 monitor) using HDMI to DVI can only take video, as the end format is DVI, which doesn't support audio.

Heya guys, been a week or two now, and my monitor just came in :D. And i owe you some pictures for all the help :

So what can i say? This monitor is just perfect, excellent detail, excellent colours, great functions. HDMI-HDMI cable worked out fine with the Xbox, which looks great too. Games are amazing to watch, and the new size adds a new dimension. Downloaded a(n?) HD trailer, it looked superb. Only bad thing are the speakers, but that's no real issue. Well, i can go in talking with superlatives, but ill just stick to this. So thanks again for the support and im glad it all worked out in the end :D

( Not much good of a camera, in real its looks much better )

kaazimir - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom