OS And installing components

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsteffens

Contributor
Okay so I'm just about ready to begin installing my drivers and such. I am about to order this

Buy cheap discount Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP1 OEM Full Version

I got a friend who does a ton of networking for a business and he uses this company a lot and said for what I'm doing this OS should be fine.

I also have a side question... I do not have any internet hookups yet on this computer, is there a decent simple wireless card you guys can suggest that I can install in one fo the regular PCI slots? Most networks I run on are wireless.

Anyway, once I get a copy of windows here I'm taking the tower up to my friend's office and he will let me use a monitor and keyboard (they have tons of parts like this) and help me install everything.

I have the Antec 900 case, ABIT IP35-E board, two sticks of ballistix ram 2X1GB, the MSI 8800GTS G92 card, a seagate 160 GB HD, Lite on DVD burner, and intel Q6600 processor, and what will be XP Pro.

What order should I install all these components? I remember reading somewhere for windows to go on smoothly I want to install everything else before that, is this true?

Any info will be appreciated, thanks much in advance!

Sounds simple enough. So I don't have to install drivers for the video card and such?

I looked at those two and I think i'll go with linksys, thanks!!

Yes, you'll need to install drivers for the video card either with what software came with the card or go to MSI's site after you have an internet connection to get the most current driver for your card.

Keep the motherboard out of the case, and install the CPU and Heatsink & fan. Trust me, it's a lot easier than doing it while the board is in the case (especially in the Antec 900). Also, are you going to get an aftermarket CPU cooler? I'd suggest one, since you're going with a Q6600. After you get the CPU/HS&F in, screw down the mobo in the case (replace the I/O shield thats on the antec 900 with the one that comes with the motherboard first, though). Put the PSU in, expansion cards, and you can do the HDD's / ODD's last since you can remove the front bays on the 900. Hook everything up, and you should be ready to go =). Just make sure you double check (even triple check) you got everything plugged in, so you're not worrying over why something won't work (did this on my last build; turned out i had the F_PANEL hookups wrong, lol, so the front powerswitch wouldn't work).

It's already all physically assembled, i'm just confirming the sequence to install everything. Should I do the OS first, then all the subsequent drivers? Or the reverse?

EDIT:

because I heard some problems with the abit board I have that if you do windows first then the other drivers don't like going on or the sound doesnt work or something...

lol no, install the os first then the other drivers. Considering that you would't be able to install any drivers without the os it is you only choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom