Latitude D520

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobojuice

WOOOOOOOO
workin on this computer at work.

turn it on and the three lights at the top turn on for a few seconds then shut off. no fan comes on, no other lights. battery is fully working, and it does the same thing even with the ps plugged in. ive reseated all the memory and the cpu. this laptop is pretty much brand new. i know that dell usually has some led codes that come out through those lights. but its usually some form of blinking. anyone have any ideas?

I would say motherboard or internal power supply at this point. I'm leaning towards power supply since the fan isn't coming on. I'm assuming the lcd stays black as well and isn't receiving power?

It's usually pretty hard to tell at this point. The internal power and mobo may even be the same mainboard unit, that's how some Dells work if I remember correctly. You can buy a new mainboard on ebay for around $150. I suppose it's out of warranty by now, too.

lol, nah man its a computer from work. i work at a hospital. everything is always under warranty. well, mostly. i think im leaning towards mobo too. just figured i'd see if anyone had any ideas.

i once had one that was doing something very similar, and a guy told me to remove the cpu, turn it on, then replace the cpu to reset some crap. i did it and it worked. hmm, perhaps i can find a cmos jumper/switch on here...

Worth a try fo sho. Manufacturer's love to hide those things on laptops, it should look the same as on a desktop mobo. It's probably underneath an area on the mobo covered by that black plastic covering. Hop on Dell's site and download the service manual .pdf if you can't find it, I'm sure it's in there.

Good thing about health care, most stuff is under warranty. Too bad it's mostly Dell, too, lol. My mom works for Health Partners and it's like that at her facility as well. At least you can send it in if you can't fix it yourself :)

yeah, im just gonna order the board and replace it. dont really feel like messing around too much with it. i just kinda wanted to know what the problem was but i'll just swap it to make life easier. thx for your help.

For sure, hopefully that fixes everything. Laptops can be like that, you narrow it down to one or two things but you don't know exactly what went wrong or why some times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom