6-pin to 8-pin power connectors (for those who want the 9800gx2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny story.

When i first got my 8800gt back in december, i tried to connect the
8 pin power lead to my card. After about 10 mins....i realized the pci-e 6 pin cable in front of me. major noob moment!!

theres a lot of talk that those adapters shouldnt be used. was all over the evga forums when the gx2 came out. not sure what the story is now. My corsair came with a 8pin connector so this was never an issue for me :)

basically xfx and evga are just making sure to cover their ***. the theory is that the 6 pin cable is only meant to carry 75watt, while the 8 pin can carry 150watt. They dont want to get sued because of someones crappy power supply overdrawing on the 6 pin cable and starting a fire.

i don't think this card will draw any more than 150 watts (thats 75 per 6 pin).. so it should do fine

and seeing your sig makes me happy prophet.. lol forgot i made it

DANG! Nice find Nosboost300. I'm gonna order this later AFTER my computer is fixed.

EDIT:

Connector should not support more than 108W. The 8-pin connector does not support +12V sense function.

...........wtf...........i think my card consumes to almost 360w, really. It's not 2.0, like on the box, n i know that v2.0 has 150w power through the slot, v1.1 does not.

Nos, how much does ur 9800GX2 consume, based on reviews? I know for sure mine, when it first came out, went no higher than 350w.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom