no power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come now, you should know better than to do that! Rookies don't even make that mistake. On the bright side, you might be able to salvage your CPU and RAM...

not true, helpme, I asked if the fan is in there now. as in, did you desolder and resolder the connection. and preferable did it with the power off ;) sorry, couldn't resist, but anyhow some bios will detect if a proper active heat sink is NOT on and will not boot (as in do you get ANY power or just a blank screen). That is why I asked the above question of you. and now I'm wondering, which fan ARE you talking about? the PSU? unplug the the power cord from the back, plug back in, turn on WHILE watching the PSU fan. See if it tries to make at least one revolution. If it tries or doesn't try and fails, rplace the PSU.

The fan that I replaced was merely the case cooling fan. Not the cpu cooler, not the power supply fan.
I plugged the new fan into a connector to make sure it worked. 12 volts is not that scary. I have seen electricians work with live wires at 110 and 230 without a problem as long as you are not grounded and work with insulated tools.
Yes, I should have turned off the computer before cutting the wires to the old fan, but I was involved in a conversation and was distracted. Even so, had I been paying enough attention to cut one wire at a time there would have been no problem, but cutting both positive and negative at once can complete the circuit through the cutting blade.
I yanked the psu out of a leftover and the computer worked fine. Out of curiousity I decided to try the original psu once more before tossing it (because shorting a peripheral circuit really should not ruin a psu) and the computer worked fine again.
I don't understand why the computer would not work for a while, but at least it works now.

Obviously, I realized as soon as I made the cut that I should have turned off the computer. I posted my question because I know that I am not the only person who has ever made a foolish mistake. I thought someone might be able to help me.

200v, i dont think thy mess with that without turning the juice off first? or at least i wouldnt.

well theoretically you could mess around with 50,000 V live wires and be fine. sure it will hurt like hell if you get zapped, but volts wont kill you. only amps will kill you. and the thing is, a 12V wire can easily carry enough amps to kill you (only .3 milli-amps needed to kill you). The point is, you should never mess around with live wires...EVER. Or electricity at all unless you know what your doing. And cutting a circuit will still cause damage, even if you dont complete it. The left over charge has to go somewhere, and it will go to earth in a broken circuit. which (if you are grounded) is through you. Basically, if you didnt have the comp earthed you could have been seriously injured by this whole experience.....

And regardless of cutting live wires...

YOU DON'T CUT WIRES IN A MACHINE WHILE IT'S RUNNING!!!

Where the heck did you learn practices like that?
Sears?
Sing-Sing?

you still don't get it do you?

the point of a forum is to try to help each other. not to boost your ego proving how brilliant you are by insulting someone else without offering anything constructive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom