Is this a sick deal ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FourTwenny

In Runtime
Ok i am building a pc, what i have so far is in my sig and i got a 7200.11 seagate 500gig 32mb cache picked out to order too. My motherboard fries sticks of ram sometimes when trying to have all 4 slots full i guess, so i am going with only a 2 stick kit. Also i am leaning towards 32bit vista, so from what i have read here 2 gigs should perform just as good as 4 gigs anyways.

I found this set of Crucial Ballistix Dual Channel 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz EPP Memory (2x 1024MB) for only $50 CAD. It's CAS Latency is 4-4-4-12
I really want to order this before they run out if it suits my system best (or close to best)

I have been reading up on ram for 4 days straight and it just gets more and more complicated. A few people say that the 8500 and 6400 are identical and that you can clock the 6400 up to the same speed as the 8500 with the same voltage and same latency, like raise the latency and speed on the pc6400 to the exact same as the stock pc8500 of the same brand, and vice versa with lowering. Is that true ? If not how much faster would the crucial balistix 8500 be after ocing ?

Also i was curious if water cooling could be added to this ram. Or to any ram that doesn't come with it pre-installed on it. And if i went 64bit down the road how much boost in performance would i get from having 2x2gig vs 2x1gig.

I know i am a noob but i am trying hard not to make noob mistakes. I would rather look dumb asking a question than look dumb with a overpriced under par performance pc.

You very rarely need cooling for RAM. Heatspreaders help but are still not necessary. Water cooling would be unnecessary as well. Just stick with a good heat sink and fan combo like the Xigmatek Rifle 120mm and that will give you all the cooling of the CPU you will need.

As far as the RAM goes, I have no idea if they really are identical, but you could always get lower RAM and overclock to higher speeds.

I was also eying up pretty much the exact same ram as you have also. It is about $100 though and the 2x2048 800mhz model. And the OCZ pc9600 flex 2x1024 1200mhz is on sale for $130. People started telling me that 2x1024 will give just as good performance as 2x2048, and that for the cost of a 4 gig kit i could get a 2gig kit that would actually be better. As i said i am going to be likely going 32bit vista and with my 24" 1960x1200 monitor i am going to have to have a least a gig of 4 gig limit devoted to gpu.

If you are going with 32bit vista, and are using a graphics card that has 1GB of GDDR3 memory, then just get the 2GB kit. Also make sure your motherboard can support that high of RAM speeds.

I checked on the evga website last night and someone there is using the flex and this other guy is using the 2x2 reaper. They both got 680i.

The ram i am thinking of ordering today is that crucial for $50. Crucial Ballistix Dual Channel 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz EPP Memory (2x 1024MB) with latency of 4-4-4-12. I mean it is only $50 and people on this site say crucial is good. Maybe i will hold off and let this deal pass and try to learn some more first. I just hate to miss out on sweet deals.

For 2GB of Crucials in CAD at $50 is a pretty great deal. They will still overclock and should be great for what you need. I would go ahead and take the deal.

Water cooling memory is ridiculous, actively cooling it with a fan is not.

Especially with higher end memory using Micron D9 chips the memory temps to heat up significantly.

Ok well i am going to go ahead and order this Crucial, besides just being $50 it is free shipping on orders $100 or over. So $51.49 taxed and shipped for the ram if i pick out something else. The way i see it is after my pc is running i can always just spend a decent amount of $$ and get some really really sweet ram and put this crucial away as back up, or use to build a budget pc to sell to a friend at cost.

Water cooling my ram is not happening either, every single person who knows anything is saying it is a 100% waste.

2gb for gaming and ordinary everyday use is fine but 4gb is always better. Not that it matters because your using 32bit but you have got some wrong info. Put a fan on your ram and you should be all set.

What wrong info? I am trying to learn. Any recommendations on a decent memory fan ? Keep in mind i am limited to using 2 Dimm slots. so that's all i need to cool. I have to install my ram in slots 0 and 1 or 2 and 3. The config is like this.

CPU SIDE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom