Windows XP Installation Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinXPUser17

Solid State Member
I purchased a computer and in the computer bundled software was a copy of Windows XP home Edition. I have had some problems with my computer and I reinstalled my operating system with no problem. As of right now my computer's harddrive is formatted in the NTFS file system.
I'd rather have it formatted in the Fat32 File System instead, but when I try to redo my windows installation and format in Fat32 file system it is not listed In the possible File Systems to format in. It just lists:

NTFS (Quick) and NTFS

NO FAT File Systems at all......

Can any one help me with this problem...

My hard drive capacity is 80 GB could that be the problem......

I have also tried going to disk management and converting but FAT32 isn't listed there either.

Thanx Alot,
Mike

well to be honest, i don't suggest you switch to FAT32 to run WindowsXP. either way, you might want to format first and create unallocate space with some other software like PartitionMagic or use fdisk. then restart and boot with the installation CD. you should have the choice now.

WARNING!!! by doing the above you will lose EVERYTHING you had on your disk.

(just want to be covered....)

Welcome to the forum Mike. You shouldn't have any problems running XP on a FAT volume and there's no need to "pre-format" the drive before installing XP. During the installation process, XP will give you the option to format the drive using either FAT32 or NTFS. Just make sure you back up all your data and have all your drivers handy as that will make the installation process go much smoother.

Lone Wolfe thats what I mean when I go to reinstall where you say to go it doesn't allow me to select between NTFS OR FAT32 it only lists NTFS

Lone Wolf said:
Welcome to the forum Mike. You shouldn't have any problems running XP on a FAT volume and there's no need to "pre-format" the drive before installing XP. During the installation process, XP will give you the option to format the drive using either FAT32 or NTFS. Just make sure you back up all your data and have all your drivers handy as that will make the installation process go much smoother.

IT doesnt allow me to select only one is displayed and thats NTFS

I would suggest following Kostas instructions. If you delete the partition and create a new one, you should get the option to format in Fat32. Although, I don't like fat32 with XP as it has some limitations and NTFS allows for much better data handeling...
But that is my opinion..

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom