off the wall CRC errors!

Status
Not open for further replies.

crc_error

Beta member
Hi

Hopefully someone will be able to help me out here... Im going to post the history of this problem Im having, so apologies in advance to all for the long post.

In a nutshell, Im having getting CRC errors when I try to install games. Im no newbie when it comes to PC's and troubleshooting, so believe me when I say I have tried everything... I think!

Firstly, Im not installing from a DVD/CD, Im installing from a tool called Daemon Tools... most of you will know it well.

Here is a brief outline of what I have tried so far.

1. I've ran extensive testing using memtest+ and Microsoft Mem diag, totally about 24 hours total. Additionally I've swapped out my RAM and Ive used two seperate sets and get the same problem.

Its not the RAM.

2. During the above testing I used every possible memory slot combonation. I also made sure all memory timings were set manually, so I know that was all correct.

Not the memory settings or mobo memory slots.

3. I formatted BOTH my hard drives (and bought new cables) and installed fresh Windows XP SP2 on each drive, with the other one unplugged, still same problem

Not the windows installation, or my Hard Drives, or cables. Could be the SATA controller

4. I have tried various versions of Daemon tools, I have tried the latest Nvidia 750i SLI chipset drivers from both Nvidia's website and Asus website. I have my onboard audio disabled in the CMOS. I also tried back-dating my CMOS, and updating the the most recent one that came out this month. None of this worked.

5. I've tried other misc suggestions I've read about on the internet, like clearing your Temp and %temp% folders, defragging the drives, running scandisk, disabling firewall software/anti-virus software.

6. Ive even started widows in the diagnostic mode, using msconfig, then started daemon tools manually (this was with my other HDD unplugged, and my DVD-RW unplugged) and it gave the same problem.

7. I have identified that both the images that I am trying to use are in fact 100%. I tested the same images on my friends computer and they both worked fine first time.

Not the image files.

Right now Im at the point where I think Im about to buy a whole new PC, and donate this one to charity... though I know my RAM and Video Card works... might haul those out!

Im convinced that I have tried every possible combination, so now I need your help, please. Im stuck and I dont know what to do next. The only thing I can think is that maybe the mobo has gone on the blink, because there is some kind of corruption going on between the software and the hardware BUS, Im not sure.

Any info, would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Richard

-----------------------------
Intel E8200, Asus P5N-D, 2GB Kingston RAM, Asus 8800GT TOP 512MB, Windows XP SP2

Well let me ask some simple questions first.

Installed chipset drivers? Ran Check disk?

I ran check disk on both my drives, before re0installing windows

currently I have nvidia nforce 650i drivers installed. When you select the 7 series from their website, it just downloads the 650i file...

Could be that the 750i drivers were pulled cause of some issues.

In the BIOS is your SATA Drives setup for ACHI or IDE? Maybe switch them to the other one and see what happens??

Another dumb question but has to be asked. OS fully up to date? I know you mention that you have 2 different installs but never say if you fully updated them.

cant be the nvidia drivers coz I downloaded the latest ones from the ASUS website, specifically for my mobo

I've never updated windows in my life, and Im a gamer... never had ANY problems regarding windows updates. will go and look at that setting right now and get back to you... thanks

Well that is part of the problem. Gamer or not doesnt matter. The CRC errors have been addressed in SP2 and SP3. So if you dont update then you will continue to get them till you do. Not choosing so to get a mior performance upgade is pointless.

Sacrafice security for a coupel of seconds of speed. But to each their own.

Update Windows. Issue solved.

Might want to try SP3. There was over 1,000 updates included in that. ;)

cant be the nvidia drivers coz I downloaded the latest ones from the ASUS website, specifically for my mobo

I've never updated windows in my life, and Im a gamer... never had ANY problems regarding windows updates. will go and look at that setting right now and get back to you... thanks

Download the new drivers from the nvidia webpage, ASUS drivers are a little buggy imo. Great hardware software needs more support.

And update, I can't stress this enough install all the updates you can. It makes your system more secure and corrects flaws in the coding. And as Mak said SP3 has a butt load of updates in it.

hi guys

I downloaded the latest nvidia drivers and installed them. Then I downloaded SP3 for Win XP and installed that. I tried, and same problem...

Im starting to think that its my mobo?

Im hauling it out, and taking it to the supplier. I want a new one please :)

Will keep you guys posted

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom