notebook screen is blank? dead hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

naash

Baseband Member
I have HP pavillon dv9000 notebook which is not working, and it seems like it is dead. Screen was frozen and I double clicked mouse which led to blank screen.

I tried to reboot the computer but nothing happened.

These are media center notebooks and there is light above the key board where DVD, play, forward etc buttons are.

Any suggestions, what could be wrong, dead hard drive.

Does it sound like the drive spins and boots up at all? Do yo usee the BIOS screen? If so the drive is not dead.
It is a driver issue.

When press the start button from the cold start, it sound like a click sound initially but no BIOS ever appears on the screen. Lights on the keyboard are up and there is noise coming out of notebook and I can't tell if it is from fan or hard drive is spinning.

When people say computer is dead what does in general means? dead hard drive, dead connection between LCD and notebook?

How do I know if this is connection issue between notebook LCD and computer or hard drive is not booting up.

I have only mac notebook as other computer. How can I use mac's screen as mointer to check my HP notebook?

Well the fan would sound like a wind tunnel. Very small one at that. If it was anything other than the sound of blowing wind then it is the hard drive.

Your best bet will be to take it to a shop. Let them tell you if it is dead or not.

Teh lights can just be a residual effect. The noise is what we have to distinguish.

I think there are 2 noises.

When I pushed the start button. After one minute harsh noise start to come but screen is blank.

After some time may be 2 -5 minutes later harsh noise goes away and small noise stays. But while doing nothing every once in a while harsh noise comes and goes away minute or two later.

I don't know if this harsh noise is hard drive spinning and small noise is fan moving or vice versa.

Q. Can I use my mac notebook screen as a moniter to my troubled HP notebook to check if notebook itself is ok? If yes what kind of connection I should look at?

Okay first you do not need to ask that question in every thread. I seen the top[ic in the mac area and that is where it should be. Honestly i dont know cause i have never used a mac. But i am sure you would need at least a dual female VGA cable.

Well do the lights work at all? Like i said. My honest opinion is to just take it to someone who knows how to distinguish the sounds. At least that way we can figure out what we are working with. Cause if it is the drive dying all the times you turn it on and off might be limiting the option to get data off of it. IF the drive heads totally fails you will need pro services which cost a lot of money to recover your data then.

Okay first you do not need to ask that question in every thread. I seen the top[ic in the mac area and that is where it should be.

Actually I am asking in 2 forums for 2 different things. Here for PC problem and in the mac forum for how to connect mac.

Well do the lights work at all?

Which lights are you talking about?
On the key board or on the screen. Screen is totally blank nothing happened at all after last night. Nothing dark blank as computer is shut off.

IF the drive heads totally fails you will need pro services which cost a lot of money to recover your data then.

I have my backup data in the external hard drive so I don't really need computer hard disk. I have never retrieved data from back up files. There are 5 zip files from the latest back up date which is 2 days ago.

Q. Lets say I attach my external hard drive to a other PC, and click to my zip files then what will happen? Would it open a new folder in the hard disk or in the computer. I am ask logistics as what will happen?

When you click on the zip file depending on if you haev WinZip ir WinRar installed most of the time you will see a pop up ask where you would like the fiels extracted to. From ther eyou can create a folder or something on your PC that you wxtract the files to.

Again this is all Windows based situations. I do not know how a Mac works or is Mac can use Rar files or not.

You asked the Mac question here and in the Mac forum. It is the same question 2 different forums. It was the last thing in post #5. That is the comment i am reffering to.

Why would i ask if the lights on teh LCD come up if you say you see a black screen? You say the lights flash on the keyboard but you never say if they stay or not.

Sorry, my mistake

Few questions.

I can use a friend's PC to extract my backup data.

Q1. From backup files (which are stored in external hard drive), can I extract them to a folder in my external hard drive?

Q2. Does each and every zip file represents one single task? It is automatically done by the software so I don't know. Like one zip file is for music other for pictures and so on or each zip file represent mix of data? Do I have to click all zip files to get back all of my data? Once retrieved, how this data will be organized?

Q3. In my external hard drive there is back up data for each week in the form of a folder. In some weeks there are only 5 zip files and some has 7 zip file. What does it means?

Q4. I checked with apple store. I can use my apple to project my apple screen to another monitor not the other way around. So mac option is out. Now I am trying to figure out LCD screen failure vs hard drive failure. Now how do I do that, any suggestions?

I am thinking to connect my PC to an external monitor (just a monitor). I can never connected my notebook to any external monitor before so I am trying to figure it out what to expect? Lets say problem with current HP notebook is in the LCD screen. When I connect my notebook to an external monitor what will happen? Will my notebook automatically use external monitor screen or do I need to push some button like there is key Fn + F4 (F4 in my key board has screen image on it).

Lights on the Key board are always up, like there is no problem. No flickering there at all. LCD screen is jet black like dead. Machine is making noise, which I can't tell what kind of noise is? I suspect it is LCD screen which is broke.

There is a reason for that. Since I bought this computer, off and on when I switch from one application like firefox to another like power point, LCD screen flickers likes goes complete black and then screen come back. I did send back this notebook to HP they said they could not find any problem.

Any one? Could someone please help answer some of the questions? Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom