Black screen where XP login should be. Booting issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eclipse, I know what you mean with having all the possible boot-up options to choose from and which ever one you chose it would just go to a all black screen. This sounds like my problem I had a week ago with a registry file failure. I had to just re-install windows all together in order for computer to start working again. The recovery console nor a repair install would do the trick.

The logon screen turns black after you press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to log on to a Microsoft Windows Server 2003-based computer

Maybe that? I am searching for answers for ya. Not much has come up though...

Workaround:
CTRL-SHIFT-ESC to open task manager.
File - Run - type in "explorer".

Maybe that as well?? I will keep looking.

First of all, thanks a lot for your help, its greatly appreciated.

I tried those and they did not work. There doesn't seem to be anything that I can interact with on the screen.

Maybe its a problem with the hard drive? I shall try to download Maxtor's diagnostic utility and run that to see if it comes up with something.

Eclipse, I know what you mean with having all the possible boot-up options to choose from and which ever one you chose it would just go to a all black screen. This sounds like my problem I had a week ago with a registry file failure. I had to just re-install windows all together in order for computer to start working again. The recovery console nor a repair install would do the trick.

Shouldn't a windows repair fix this problem? I mean, clearly it doesn't, but there has to be something similar that would do the trick...

Sadly there is much more that i can think of for you. Other than the info i found there is nothing else of use. A repair install only replaces the Windows files. Not drivers or anything else. Just the Windows files. So if it is a different file that is affected then no. A repair wouldn't fix it.

Sadly the only thing i can say now is to reinstall. I have found and provided all the help that i can. I have exhausted all my means to find answers...

Thanks a lot for your time and help, I'll try to back up as much data as I can using Knoppix or a similar boot CD.

Its amazing how quickly and without warning such problems can arise.

Edit: On the bright side, my computer had been feeling a little sluggish. I suppose I needed an excuse to do a clean install.

Sorry i couldnt help find a resolution for you. Other than that it was my pleasure. Stop by again when you need some help or info. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom