First nice computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
so as far as graphics cards you guys suggest the 8800gts 512 over the 8800gt 1g?
and I'm hearing that the monitor is really a toss-up, but couldn't i run the 1680x1050 at 1440x900 and have the option of going higher later? that way i could hit the sweet spot and keep my graphic power, while still having room to grow?
also: Thanks for all the responses guys, this is being INCREDIBLY helpful, I'm probabaly going to start putting this thing together monday/tuesday.

so as far as graphics cards you guys suggest the 8800gts 512 over the 8800gt 1g?
and I'm hearing that the monitor is really a toss-up, but couldn't i run the 1680x1050 at 1440x900 and have the option of going higher later? that way i could hit the sweet spot and keep my graphic power, while still having room to grow?
also: Thanks for all the responses guys, this is being INCREDIBLY helpful, I'm probabaly going to start putting this thing together monday/tuesday.

For sure the 8800GTS 512....512mb on Vram is plenty enough for games at 1440x900 or 1680x1050.

Also I am not sure exactly how well that monitor looks at 1680x1050. 19 inch widescreen monitors have always been a native resolution of 1400x900....monitors look best at their "native" resolution as thats what they were designed to output the most crisp picture on. Therefore if 1680x1050 is it's native then it wouldn't look as good at 1440x900.

I imagine that everything will just be smaller than normal becuase of that resolution on a smaller monitor.

For the monitor it depends it is really personal preference on the resolution. I know some people would rather have the higher resolution while others prefer the increased fps.

AS for Vista I am just going to wait for Windows 7 whenever it comes...Vista is like ME...no one cared for it becuase XP came and replaced it.

Before I got vista I expected it to be terrible with all of the comparisons to ME, which might be the worst os ever made. However after running Vista I cannot understand what people are talking about. I have not encountered a single program or piece of hardware that is not compatible with vista. I was even able to run an old Matrox graphics card from the late 90's using xp drivers while I was waiting for my 8800GS.

For the monitor it depends it is really personal preference on the resolution. I know some people would rather have the higher resolution while others prefer the increased fps.

Before I got vista I expected it to be terrible with all of the comparisons to ME, which might be the worst os ever made. However after running Vista I cannot understand what people are talking about. I have not encountered a single program or piece of hardware that is not compatible with vista. I was even able to run an old Matrox graphics card from the late 90's using xp drivers while I was waiting for my 8800GS.

It's mainly becuase it's a resource hog is the reason I am not upgrading.

yes your right for most games these days especially at a lower res 2GB is plenty. Plus you can easily add two more sticks for 45 bucks or so

I would get a 20 inch widescreen if i were you at 1680x1050. You don't have to worry about getting lower fps when you are getting a 8800gt. cause i have an older ati x1800 and it plays games fine at that res. team fortress looks great at this res and other games.

For sure the 8800GTS 512....512mb on Vram is plenty enough for games at 1440x900 or 1680x1050.

Also I am not sure exactly how well that monitor looks at 1680x1050. 19 inch widescreen monitors have always been a native resolution of 1400x900....monitors look best at their "native" resolution as thats what they were designed to output the most crisp picture on. Therefore if 1680x1050 is it's native then it wouldn't look as good at 1440x900.

I imagine that everything will just be smaller than normal becuase of that resolution on a smaller monitor.

Actually the 1gb performs less in some games than the 512mb 8800gt

Hey guys, thanks for all your help and support, but I'm going with a laptop instead. I can't think of a time when I would sit at a desktop to use a computer, and my laptop has helped me at school for 3 years now and its convienience is great. If I ever settle into a permanent residence and start a family, I will definitely hit you guys back up about building a desktop, because I will probably build it from scratch like you suggested.
Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom