Boot without explorer.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCorsairMalack

Baseband Member
Okay. I'm trying to make a super slim install of XP. I've got only tiny apps to use files (<1MB each). My goal is to make it so I have so little overhead that I can run a game like TESIV: Oblivion. (using <a href="http://www.oldblivion.com/>oldblivion</a>) on a reasonably priced laptop. ~$500

First, let's establish what I have done and what I need to know.

I have my autoexec.bat use taskkill to end explorer and then start up free commander to browse files. I chose it because it's got less graphical stuff. And that's what I need to get rid of for a laptop.

I need to know a registry tweak or something that allows me to set windows to not even start the explorer. Killing it after it starts seems a little like an extra step.

I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

You can not stop or kill Explorer.exe. You will not have access to any of the files on the system them. Explorer is Windows. You will not have any GUI or any way to get to access anything. At that point you would just be better off installing DOS.

Plus i think that hacking the install to make it super slim violates the TOS and EULA fo Windows. Which would make this topic illegal and against our forum rules.

Ouch. I'll let it die then. But one last question please. What is it that I am turning off when I end the explorer process in task manager? I am using free commander and firefox right now with what's listed as explorer.exe ended.

That kills the Taskbar at the bottom. It kills any open windows. So basically you could not naviagte your system at all. You could not run anything unless you knew the EXACT command line for it to run it from the Task Manager.

Explorer.exe is the most vital component to Windows sadly. It is very necessary to run.

Not necessarily. Some apps may not load cause they need a GUI. Which doesnt load without Explorer.exe

Plain and simple. Explorer is needed. Period. You can use the command line if you know the exact location but remember you can not be off even 1 letter.

But simply put explorer is needed. No if's ands or buts about it. It is needed. End of story.

just make a batch file called

tskill /a explorer

and put it in your startup folder. Make it a loop so its always running

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom