Software that wipes HD of data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celticsfan

Banned
I had a teacher who had some sort of s/w on a floppy where he just put in the floppy in a PC and it would wipe the HD clean of all data. Is anyone familiar with this product? If so, what is it?

You can burn these to CD's instead of using floppies: Killdisk, Gparted (partitioning tool as well), and DBAN are what I have and/or have suggested before. Killdisk and DBAN write zeros to the entire drive, so all data is gone completely (no recovery).

None of them wipe a drive "instantly." It takes time depending on the size of the drive. I think on my 320GB drive, it took me an hour and a half to wipe it.

I know the proper way to dispose of a hdd is to have it "zeroed out" as you mention. I am just looking for something that will wipe out an OS and put on another one without waiting around.

Like I said my ex-prof had one that could do this and I was wondering if there was some s/w that could. And yes i know about fdisk before someones asks.

Well there's quick format options...but those aren't really recommended. Can't say that I've heard of something that instantly "wipes" it out... Honestly don't know if that's possible.

Use GParted. But from what i remember you said you couldnt get it working right. Have you used Version 0.3.3? That is the easiest version with a Windows box.

DBan is great. But for speed i use Gparted as it is like a full format from within Windows. But for a really through format DBan is the best i have found. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom