First nice computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Landorf

Baseband Member
So I have a pretty crappy laptop right now and have been wanting to get a nice desktop. I stopped by ibuypower.com and whipped this configuration up, would run me $1297, was wondering what people thought about this setup:

Nzxt Apollo Gaming Tower Case w/420W Power Supply

600 Watt -- Power Supply SLI Ready

AMD Athlonâ„¢ X2 6000+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology

CoolerMaster Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System Kit

Asus M2N-SLI NVIDIA nForce 560 SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, IEEE 1394, USB 2.0, Dual PCI-E MB

2048MB [1024MB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module

NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 1GB w/DVI + TV Out Video

=== High Performance === eVGA Brand Video Card Powered by NVIDIA

320 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache]

20X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive

Creative Lab Sound Blaster Audigy SE

600W PMPO 3 PCS Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System

Intel Pro 10/100/1000 Network Card

ViewSonic 19" Q191WB Widescreen TFT LCD Monitor

The games I would be running would mostly be WoW, but I'd like to try other things like TeamFottress and other stuff. Really this is the first step for me into complete nerd-dom, but I just wanted to make sure I was doing it right.
Thanks.

welcometf.gif

If you are willing to build it yourself this system will destroy that ibuypower one and costs $1265 before mail in rebates.

Newegg.com - LG Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Elite 330 RC-330-KKN1-GP Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 953BW High-gloss Black 19" 5ms, 2ms (GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 8000:1(1000:1) - LCD Monitors

Newegg.com - ECS N8800GTS-512MX GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 Power Supply 90 - 264 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Power Supplies

Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2R LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - CPUs / Processors

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 32-bit English 1pk DSP OEI DVD - Operating Systems

i dont think he needs a X38 maybe a P35-DS3L (something like that)

maybe a bigger monitor

Build it yourself.....for the same price you get much more bang for your buck, higher quality parts, and the feeling of knowing you are the one who assembled your pride and joy.

For 1300 you could build one monster of a gaming PC these days....PC gaming has gotten cheaper than when i started in summer of 06.

I'll look into the whole building it myself thing, but as far as the basics for the rig looks, is it a decent setup in general? I'm really wondering if I made any n00b mistakes and have some kind of crappy config like "omg dual core with a 8800gt? wut a newb" cause I know nothing about high end stuff.

go with puddle's build..it is what i would recommended and it is kick ***.

I'll look into the whole building it myself thing, but as far as the basics for the rig looks, is it a decent setup in general? I'm really wondering if I made any n00b mistakes and have some kind of crappy config like "omg dual core with a 8800gt? wut a newb" cause I know nothing about high end stuff.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me

It's really not that hard, you can do it, just read up, and it will give you a skill you can use in more ways you may realize!! We can walk you through it, ****, I'm sure someone would be willing to guide you through via webcam or phone.

That pc that you list from ibuypower.com is pretty good.

However, I will suggest like everyone else that you build your own.

It is far more easy than you think, and the great guys here at the forums will help you out with ANYTHING that you want to know....they are truely a great bunch here.

If you build your own you will be able to get better parts and a more powerful pc for that price, no doubt about it.

You will be very glad you did. :)

So when it comes to an OS, I'm going to be using windows. I really hate Vista and like the flexibiliy of XP, is this a bad thing? Also because I am a student I can get both os'es super cheap so price is no problem.

also, i'm looking for a cheap 19" WS narrowed it down to these two, both are 179.99
Acer AL1916WAbd Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor
Acer X193W+BD Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor <--can reach 1680x1050

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom