Ah, 4gb of RAM. Does matching matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengance

In Runtime
I currently have 2gb of Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400).

Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

I also have Vista Ultimate and am thinking about reinstalling the 64-bit version. I have an E6420 with a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R (rev. 1.0) motherboard. This memory is actually on the supported memory list.

My question is whether I should get this or try getting better memory and selling my current 2 sticks on craigslist. Can you mix and match RAM or would it be better to keep all 4 sticks consistent?

You can mix and match just fine. Personally i sold my 4x1 set of crucials and bought a 2x2 set just because there tends to be less issues with nvidia chipsets and only using 2 slots.

You can mix and match just fine. Personally i sold my 4x1 set of crucials and bought a 2x2 set just because there tends to be less issues with nvidia chipsets and only using 2 slots.

That is exactly what i read too. I happen to have almost the same board as you, mine is the release edition 680i though, with its problems. Which 2x2024 set did you end up getting. I have to get ram right away and i was looking for something 2x2024.

Edit: Sorry, i know you got the OCZ reaper but i was curious to which model it is ? I saw a lot of different reapers, some at @800mhz and some at 1066mhz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom